Angra's "Temple of Shadows" is progressive metal

First Post February 08, 2023 09:14 PM

Although widely regarded to be a Power Metal record, I find 'Temple of Shadows' to be much more of a Progressive Metal release with only two or three Power Metal tracks included of the thirteen on offer. As a result, I'd like to see it added to The Infinite under the Progressive Metal genre. If that's successful then I'll be pushing for it to be removed from The Guardians.

This nomination has been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

February 08, 2023 11:40 PM

To my ears, I find this album to have more of a progressive power metal sound. The orchestration gives me a lot of Rhapsody (of Fire) vibes though not too highly used in the foreground that would've covered symphonic metal otherwise. The soloing is quite progressive, but in some songs (not just in those power metal highlights) it often reminds me of some of DragonForce's solos. You consider one of my earlier favorite power metal albums NOT power metal, Daniel? Ouch! (though I did say this is better than Petrucci and Dream Theater, so we're kinda even, but still, sorry about that) So I'll vote YES for The Infinite addition entry. Can't say the same about the later Guardians removal entry though.

February 09, 2023 12:48 AM

I'm certainly no power metal aficionado Andi so I may well be barking up the wrong tree but the only tracks I consider to be power metal (i.e. not far further over onto the progressive side) are "Spread Your Fire", "Angels & Demons" & "The Temple of Hate" ("Angels & Demons" being more of a 50/50 of prog/power metal). Which others do you regard as fitting the bill for power metal?

February 09, 2023 02:22 AM

I think another reason why some people (including myself) associate this album with power metal is because of the guest appearances from vocalists of Guardians bands Edenbridge, Helloween, Gamma Ray, and Blind Guardian. Of course, guest vocalists from bands of other genres do not make an album those genres (a clear example being Ayreon's The Theory of Everything that is more of a progressive rock opera album despite most of the vocalists coming from metal bands). Looking back now, Temple of Shadows seems to be 80/20 of prog/power metal, but the amount of the power metal I have left in my heart wasn't going to give it up too easily. I actually plan to review another Angra album to rediscover a little more of their progressive direction, so stay tuned for that...

February 09, 2023 03:31 AM

See, my personal limit is 40% for primary genre tags unless there's no clear alternative genre & all potential candidates are low. If you're a power metal fan who hates progressive metal then you're not gonna have much fun with a record that's only 20% power metal & 80% progressive metal. I'd suggest that a minimum of 40% is enough to make it interesting for someone like that. I wouldn't want an album topping the charts when only 30% of its run time is spent within the dedicated genre for that chart either.

February 09, 2023 04:32 PM

50% or no go for me.