Xanthochroid's "Of Erthe and Axen: Act I" should be under symphonic black metal

First Post December 15, 2022 02:01 AM

To be honest, I hear as much as symphonic black metal as I hear in progressive metal in the first half of the Of Erthe and Axen saga, particularly in the metal tracks that are the more essential parts of the album. The prominent orchestration, tremolos, blast-beats, and unclean vocals can be heard in full force in those tracks while mixed with the clean vocals and progressive complexity. With that, I'd like to submit Xanthochroid's "Of Erthe and Axen: Act I" to the Hall to be added to The North with the symphonic black metal subgenre.

December 15, 2022 03:33 AM

I actually disagree. Black metal plays more of a supporting role in the overall package in my opinion & I wouldn't want to see a release like this one sitting at the top of the black metal charts or being included in the playlists for The North. I'm comfortable with the sole Progressive Metal tag as I think that genre adequately covers a lot of the cinematic & symphonic elements on show. I'll get the Hall entry up over the next couple of days & we'll see what everyone else thinks.

December 15, 2022 03:50 AM

OK, thanks Daniel.

December 15, 2022 09:58 AM

This nomination has now been added to the Hall of Judgement.