Coldrain's "Nonnegative" isn't metalcore

First Post October 06, 2022 09:45 PM

Coldrain's brand new "Nonnegative" album certainly has metalcore influences however it's far too big a stretch for a dual tagging with Alternative Metal so I'd like to see it removed from The Revolution while staying solely in The Gateway.

October 06, 2022 09:47 PM

This submission has now been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

What are your thoughts on this as our resident metalcore nut Andi?

October 06, 2022 11:43 PM
When I refer to bands/albums like this one as "alt-metalcore", it's a bit like post-sludge or progressive death in terms of the name, more focus on the former word than the latter. Sure there might be the heavy guitars and screamed vocals of metalcore in a couple songs like the brutal "Rabbit Hole", but many of the other songs sit fine in alternative metal territory with pop and/or hardcore influences. Personally I find a couple of their previous albums Vena and The Side Effects heavier with far more prominent metalcore aspects while keeping their familiar melodic alt-metal sound, hence my judgement submission for Vena. So yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that, despite the metalcore influences and at least one metalcore-oriented track, Nonnegative is primarily alternative metal. My vote coming up...
October 07, 2022 02:39 AM

Look, if you agree with my argument Andi then I'm just gonna push this one through as the only reason the release was added to The Revolution in the first place was due to your deciding genre vote on RYM which left Metalcore at 2-1.