Northlane's "Obsidian" isn't industrial metal

First Post August 06, 2022 09:53 PM

For a release that's tagged as industrial/alternative metal there’s a lot more going on with Northlane's "Obsidian" album than that. In fact, there’s absolutely zero industrial metal here so I have no idea where people are drawing that tag from. The combination of alternative metal, nu metal, trance, djent, metalcore & trip hop that we do get is extremely hard to tag. The djent component is very strong throughout however this record doesn’t belong in The Infinite so I wouldn’t opt for it as a primary on that tag. Overall, I’d suggest that calling this record alternative trancecore is about as close as I can come up with but the result is so much better than that sounds on paper. As a result, I'd like to nominate the following Hall entries:

1. Remove the release from the Industrial Metal genre.

2. Add the release to the Trance Metal genre.

3. Add the release to The Revolution under the Melodic Metalcore genre.

August 06, 2022 10:05 PM

This submission has now been posted in the Hall of Judgement.

August 07, 2022 12:04 AM

Interesting judgement submissions, Daniel! I kind of think of the electronic experimentation as somewhere along the lines of synth-dance-y industrial in some songs, so it's close to both industrial metal and trance metal. And I can hear where you got the idea of this album being melodic metalcore, with a great amount of technical riffs, breakdowns, and screamed vocals that throwback to their earlier albums. So I might object to removing the album from The Sphere but understand its potential in The Revolution. Let's see how things go with your submissions...

August 07, 2022 01:13 AM

Aren't you really taking more about Cyber Metal there though Andi? Industrial metal must be cold & mechanical in nature in my opinion. That's kinda the whole point of the genre & there's absolutely none of that here as far as I can see. There's not even any samples. I mean put this next to a Godflesh, Ministry or Strapping Young Lad record & they're like chalk & cheese. The electronic component on "Obsidian" is almost entirely Trance-based which I would have thought was covered by the Trance Metal tag. The rhythmic element sits in Djent territory for the most part.

August 07, 2022 02:50 AM

OK, so the industrial metal tag for this album is quite a stretch, but a few songs are close to cyber metal in the synths, and I've already started expanding my cyber metal knowledge with that part of the Sphere playlists.