Avantasia's "The Wicked Symphony" and "Angel of Babylon" should be in The Guardians

First Post October 09, 2019 10:04 PM

Avantasia? Non-metal?? No way! First off, heavy metal is at the top of both album's genre lists in the Rate Your Music site. Second, there are many sources (for example, Allmusic) that would consider those two albums at least one genre from The Guardians (heavy, neoclassical, power, symphonic). Who in the world would call those two albums not metal? Therefore I'm suggesting adding Avantasia's "The Wicked Symphony" and "Angel of Babylon" to the Guardians with the tag "Heavy metal", maybe also "Symphonic metal" for "The Wicked Symphony". PS: I said those two albums in that order because that's how "The Wicked Trilogy" goes.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
October 10, 2019 04:09 AM

Hi shadowdoom9. I'm afraid it's not as clear cut as you're suggesting. Both of these albums have almost the same amount of No votes for Heavy Metal as they have Yes votes.

The criteria for a release to automatically be considered metal on Metal Academy is to have either:

1. A metal genre as its highest ratio primary genre on RYM, regardless of how high or low that ratio is
  2. A metal primary genre that has a ratio of at least 2:1 (for example: 20 votes yes to 10 votes no)

If we apply that to The Wicked Symphony, you can see below that its highest ratio primary is Rock Opera (the ratio is 5:1). It does have a primary genre of Heavy Metal, but 25 votes for Yes against 22 votes for No (a ratio of 1.14:1) doesn't meet the criteria to be an automatic inclusion.

HOWEVER... I've done some investigation here and it's clear that most people agree that these albums are metal. The reason the voting has ended up the way it has is because no-one can agree whether they are Power Metal or Heavy Metal. So, I'm going to make an exception and set them both as Heavy Metal.

October 10, 2019 05:24 AM

Great! Thanks, Ben.