Cynic's "Focus" should also be in the Horde

First Post August 22, 2019 06:35 AM
Focus is canonically considered a landmark album in death metal. While its current home in Infinite is also appropriate due to the extremely progressive and experimental nature of the music, I feel that Cynic are still enough of a death metal band at their core on this album (harsh vocals everywhere, riffs that would go on to inspire legions of techdeath imitators) to warrant placement in both. Almost feels a shame to not have Focus in the death metal lists.
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 23, 2019 05:25 AM

Focus is canonically considered a landmark album in death metal. While its current home in Infinite is also appropriate due to the extremely progressive and experimental nature of the music, I feel that Cynic are still enough of a death metal band at their core on this album (harsh vocals everywhere, riffs that would go on to inspire legions of techdeath imitators) to warrant placement in both. Almost feels a shame to not have Focus in the death metal lists.
Quoted illusionist

This release has been added to the Hall of Judgement.

August 23, 2019 12:39 PM

Thanks Ben!

June 23, 2020 07:57 AM

I agree with you here illusionist & it's certainly not just the vocals. Many of the riff structures of very similar to "Human"-era Death & quite frankly we need to be differentiating this sort of release from the Dream Theater's & Queensryche's of the prog metal world.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
October 13, 2020 03:57 AM

The Hall has judged this release and a decision has been made. With a result of 14 to 1, Cynic's Focus will be given the Death Metal genre and subsequently added to The Horde.