Iced Earth's self-titled debut album should be in The Pit

First Post February 19, 2022 10:55 AM

Similar to Night of the Stormrider, the power metal and thrash metal sides of their 1990 debut's sound is in a 50:50 ratio, with lots of the thrashy riffing/soloing and shrieking vocal aggression while having the melody and sparse keyboards of power metal. Again, with thrash metal dominating as much of the album as power metal, I'd like to submit Iced Earth's "Iced Earth" album to be added to The Pit while staying in The Guardians.

February 19, 2022 09:59 PM

This is an interesting one because I voted for "Iced Earth" being a Thrash Metal primary & Heavy Metal secondary on RYM many years ago but there wasn't a US Power Metal subgenre (i.e. a more muscular version of Heavy Metal that often utilizes Thrash Metal & Speed Metal influences) on the site at that time.  If I recall correctly, Iced Earth's self-titled debut is very much a combination of Metallica & Iron Maiden but I think I'd need to give the record a revisit before deciding on whether the Thrash Metal component is still strong enough for a primary now that US Power Metal is a thing. In saying that, we don't have a US Power Metal subgenre tag on Metal Academy with most of those releases falling into Heavy metal or being lumped into Power Metal along with the Europeans so I'm not sure what the answer is here. I think I'll reserve my position at this stage.

For the record, I voted for "Night of the Stormrider" being tagged with Power Metal & Heavy Metal primaries & a Thrash Metal secondary at around the same time so I think it's probably fine without a Thrash Metal primary.

May 22, 2022 11:36 PM

Andi, this release now legitimately qualifies for The Pit so I'm simply going to add it.

May 22, 2022 11:49 PM

Thanks, Daniel!