Should Venom's "Possessed" be in The Pit?

First Post July 05, 2019 07:59 PM

There's no question that "Possessed" includes three or four speed metal numbers but is there enough of that component spread across its thirteen tracks to warrant it being considered as a part of the subgenre? Or is it more of a traditional heavy metal album with a few speed metal leanings thrown in for variation? Vote "No" to remove it from The Pit or "Yes" to have it maintain its place.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
July 08, 2019 10:04 PM

There's no question that "Possessed" includes three or four speed metal numbers but is there enough of that component spread across its thirteen tracks to warrant it being considered as a part of the subgenre? Or is it more of a traditional heavy metal album with a few speed metal leanings thrown in for variation? Vote "No" to remove it from The Pit or "Yes" to have it maintain its place.

Quoted Daniel

Submitted

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
April 26, 2021 10:39 PM

With a result of 7 Yes to 8 No, Daniel's request has been rejected by the Hall. Venom's Possessed will therefore retain the Speed Metal genre and remain in The Pit.

April 27, 2021 11:26 AM
Is there an avenue for appeal? Best of 17?
April 27, 2021 12:24 PM

Sorry, Daniel, even then it would take many months to get two small votes. I personally don't mind Possessed staying in The Pit, because while indeed only a few songs are full-on speed metal, some of those elements spread on to the other songs and keep Venom's reign of sound that has inspired the development of black metal up to that point.

April 27, 2021 06:42 PM

I was only joking Andi. I'm fine with the result if that's the way the members have voted but, just to be clear, I wouldn't class ANY of Venom's first four records as legitimate speed metal as (in much the same way as Motorhead) there's no more than the odd speed metal song here & there. Take the "Black Metal" album for example. Of the ten songs included, I challenge anyone to identify more than two tracks that qualify for the speed metal tag. It's really only the title track & "Heaven's On Fire" as far as I can see. The rest all fall under traditional heavy metal with the possible exception of "Teacher's Pet" which is more of a blues/punk/hard rock effort than it is metal. Is 20% of the tracklisting enough for a legitimate speed metal tag? I don't think so as the fact that it's 70% heavy metal comfortably outweighs any speed metal reference but that's just my two cents.