Pain of Salvation's Scarsick should be added to The Gateway and removed from The Infinite

First Post December 16, 2021 10:34 AM
I believe a lot of the voting for prog metal on Pain of Salvation's Scarsick was based more on the band being synonymous with prog metal as opposed to the actual sound of the album. There's, like, maybe one prog metal song (Flame to the Moth). The rest is much less centered around prog metal elements and are a lot more centered around it's various non-metal influences (hip hop, funk, disco, punk, etc.). With that in mind, I feel like Scarsick should be removed from The Infinite and placed in The Gateway as an alternative metal album.
December 16, 2021 01:36 PM

I agree that Scarsick has an alt-metal sound, but the band's signature progressive metal is still around in "Flame to the Moth" and a couple of their longer more complex tracks, and blending in various non-metal influences adds in a bit of an experimental vibe. I would suggest sending this album to the Hall to be added to The Gateway first, and if it gets enough YES votes and gains The Gateway clan, then we can propose the album to be removed from The Infinite as a second Hall entry.

May 22, 2022 07:17 AM

This nomination has been posted in the Hall of Judgement. I agree with Andi's approach of adding Alternative Metal first before making a play to remove it from The Infinite/Progressive Metal so I've opted to go with that.