Your favorite albums of 2024 (halfway point)

First Post July 07, 2024 10:02 PM

Now that we're halfway through the year, let's go over our top ten albums of the year.

1. Kamasi Washington - Fearless Movement (Jazz Fusion, Spiritual Jazz)

2. Arooj Aftab - Night Reign (Chamber Folk, Chamber Jazz)

3. Uboa - Impossible Light (Dark Ambient, Death Industrial)

4. St. Vincent - All Born Screaming (Alt-Rock, Art Rock)

5. Full of Hell - Coagulated Bliss (Metal, Grindcore)

6. Crypt Sermon - The Stygian Rose (Epic Doom Metal, Heavy Metal)

7. Pizzamachine - Pizza Ex Machine (Hardcore Trap Rap, Crunkcore (you read this right), Electronic)

8. Beth Gibbons - Lives Outgrown (Chamber Folk, Singer/Songwriter)

9. Glass Beach - Plastic Death (Art Rock, Indie Rock)

10. Vampire Weekend - Only God Was Above Us (Indie Rock, Chamber Pop, Art Pop)

July 08, 2024 12:02 AM

Here's my list:

1. Ryujin - Ryujin [melodic death/power metal]

2. Job for a Cowboy - Moon Healer [technical death/progressive metal]

3. Trail of Tears - Winds of Disdain [symphonic/gothic metal]

4. Unleash the Archers - Phantoma [power metal]

5. Madder Mortem - Old Eyes, New Heart [progressive metal]

6. DragonForce - Warp Speed Warriors [power metal]

7. Amaranthe - The Catalyst [trance/symphonic/melodic metalcore]

8. The Ghost Inside - Searching for Solace [metalcore/hardcore]

9. Imminence - The Black [metalcore/alternative metal]

10. High on Fire - Cometh the Storm [stoner/sludge metal]

Some albums released in June that I don't have yet but plan to get:

Black Veil Brides - Bleeders (EP)

Wage War - Stigma

Crossfaith - ARK

Neaera - All is Dust (I'm up to exploring this band of melodeath/metalcore)

July 08, 2024 07:18 AM

Crunkcore

Quoted Rexorcist

No hate, but I'm am very curious to hear you explain what you like about this haha

July 08, 2024 07:36 PM

Crunkcore

Quoted Rexorcist

No hate, but I'm am very curious to hear you explain what you like about this haha

Quoted SilentScream213

I was hoping someone would say that.

I normally really hate crunkcore.  This particular album, however, gave me a feeling that was completely alien to the nearly 1000 hip hop albums I've explored, especially outside crunkcore.  It used industrial influences, noisy production during screams and ambiance to create a feeling that I can only describe as this: the many emotions of a robot seriously questioning if it has a soul.  That was some accidental brilliance for this guy.  I mean, he NORMALLY does better crunkcore than everyone else, but it's usually just OK.

July 10, 2024 02:15 AM

It's all metal but nonetheless: 

1. Crypt Sermon - Divine Laughter
  2. Ulcerate - Cutting the Throat of God
  3. Spectral Voice - Sparagmos
  4. Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace
  5. Theophonos - Ashes in the Huron River
  6. Crypt Sermon - The Stygian Rose
  7. Hoplites - Paramainomeni
  8. Critical Defiance - The Search Won't Fall
  9. Thou - Umbilical
  10. Ætheria Conscientia - The Blossoming

I doubt this is going to stick as there have been a ton of great albums that I feel like could take the 7-10 spot on any given day. So far, I think 2024 is proving to be an above average year and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down. Shoutouts to Iglooghost's Tidal Memory Exo for being one of the non-metal albums that's really caught my ear this year, I've been replaying it a ton in the office.

July 10, 2024 03:06 AM

Crunkcore

Quoted Rexorcist

Quoted SilentScream213

I was hoping someone would say that.

I normally really hate crunkcore.  This particular album, however, gave me a feeling that was completely alien to the nearly 1000 hip hop albums I've explored, especially outside crunkcore.  It used industrial influences, noisy production during screams and ambiance to create a feeling that I can only describe as this: the many emotions of a robot seriously questioning if it has a soul.  That was some accidental brilliance for this guy.  I mean, he NORMALLY does better crunkcore than everyone else, but it's usually just OK.

Quoted Rexorcist

Totally respect that. Crunkcore is among my least favorite genres of all time, but I'd be totally open to hearing an album in the genre that is actually enjoyable. Maybe I'll give it a shot just for fun.

July 11, 2024 06:24 PM

Totally respect that. Crunkcore is among my least favorite genres of all time, but I'd be totally open to hearing an album in the genre that is actually enjoyable. Maybe I'll give it a shot just for fun.

Quoted SilentScream213

I actually love it when one of my least favorite genres features an album I find amazing.  Nadja helped me explore some more of my least favorite metal genre: drone.