Don't Let It Happen Here

First Post August 22, 2021 09:51 PM

This weekend I have been revisiting some of the better albums released this year and so far Panopticon's ...and Again Into the Light is topping my list. Whi!e listening I had a quick look at it's RYM page just to see what others thought of it, but  I was confronted by one of the most depressingly terrible comment boxes on the site. The majority of "commments" are just crap spewed out by trolls with nothing better to do with their lives or just plain fucking idiots. Now I'm not so precious about my favourite music that I can't abide any negative commentary if it's presented in a reasoned and reasonable way, in fact the comments with respect to the production and mixing of the album have merit and are justified, but some of the utter shite so-called "music fans" post in these comment boxes is ridiculous.

What I'm trying to say, in a round about way, is that it is great to be able to come to an internet site where reasonable people can make reasoned and intelligent comments and even if they disagree still have respect for each other and their opinions and make the whole experience much more satisfying - and that site is Metal Academy. 

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 22, 2021 10:38 PM

I agree Sonny, and sadly I feel like it's just how the internet is these days. It seems to be "cool" to totally troll something that everyone has been anticipating, whether it be a movie, a TV show, an album, or whatever. Before things are even released now, you have people giving things 0 out of 10 just for the heck of it, and making "worst thing ever" type comments (or even throwing around terms like incel I see). Apparently it's a fun thing to do, but I'll never understand it.

Metal Academy has been designed with this in mind (it's obviously not completely avoidable), and if that means we dramatically limit our numbers, then that's a price I'm sure we're all willing to pay.

August 23, 2021 01:00 AM

Not every sound is for everyone unfortunately. There are a lot of people that would rather just say "this sucks lol" instead of explaining why they don't enjoy something. It's so much easier than writing a fully flushed out review. If those people want to troll then so be it. I try not to let it bother me because I know that those comments don't have an argument. If we at Metal Academy can avoid that by methodology, then it'll just make for a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

August 23, 2021 06:19 AM

What especially irritated me was the ridiculous "incelcore" comment. Who is the incel? Austin Lunn is married with children. Do they mean the fans like me? I've been married for thirty-odd years. Much more likely is that the sad bastard trolling on the internet is the incel, so look in the mirror dickhead. 

Thanks Ben for the assurance that behaviour like that won't ever be made acceptable here at the Academy.

August 23, 2021 02:32 PM

I've been thinking about this kind of stuff recently, especially from Ben's 30,000 album post and call for new features, because part of me has wanted to push for an album comment box without necessarily having to comment on a review to boost easy engagement. After more thought, I think the fact that The Academy doesn't have that sort of things is what has and will keep things like Sonny's example out of the site, for the most part. The fact that you have to respond to someone's full review makes it more awkward to shitpost, plus the comment doesn't even show up on the album's main page until you click on the review itself, keeping everything cleaner. 

I like the emphasis that this site puts on the reviews, forum posts, and actual thoughts rather than 5 or 6 word comments in a random box off to the side. Hope the site can continue to add more features without necessarily messing with that emphasis, even though it might mean that less people engage with things. 

August 23, 2021 04:22 PM

I think I suggested a comment box a good while ago Xephyr, when Ben was asking for suggestions, but I have most definitely changed my mind on that issue for exactly the reasons you cite in your post. It just makes it all too easy to shitpost if you can readily insert snidey short comments. I think the Academy is and deserves better than that.

August 23, 2021 04:23 PM

First of all, I had to look up what the hell Incel meant in the first place.

Secondly, from my experience of moderating over at Metal Forum I get really pissed off with the "this is shit for no valid or substantiated reason" scenario whenever it crops up.  The arrogance of other people never ceases to amaze me and this is why I don't frequent FB or Twitter in all honesty, it has encouraged a culture of explanation in a limited number of characters because of count restrictions or the knowledge by the poster that if they don't say something quick nobody will read it.

I agree that MA offers that safe-haven from such nonsense and I think that the comments section is just perfectly hidden away t discourage some of the negative behaviours we have all experienced on the internet at large.  What it also manages to conversely is open up the minds of the regulars to new genres, styles, bands etc so is a rewarding place for those that value it enough to stick around.  Those that choose to troll elsewhere are the ones missing out on the real opportunity to grow their palate.

August 23, 2021 07:32 PM

First of all, I had to look up what the hell Incel meant in the first place.

Secondly, from my experience of moderating over at Metal Forum I get really pissed off with the "this is shit for no valid or substantiated reason" scenario whenever it crops up.  The arrogance of other people never ceases to amaze me and this is why I don't frequent FB or Twitter in all honesty, it has encouraged a culture of explanation in a limited number of characters because of count restrictions or the knowledge by the poster that if they don't say something quick nobody will read it.

I agree that MA offers that safe-haven from such nonsense and I think that the comments section is just perfectly hidden away t discourage some of the negative behaviours we have all experienced on the internet at large.  What it also manages to conversely is open up the minds of the regulars to new genres, styles, bands etc so is a rewarding place for those that value it enough to stick around.  Those that choose to troll elsewhere are the ones missing out on the real opportunity to grow their palate.

Quoted Vinny

Hear, hear. Well said Vinny.