Science Fiction - Yes or No?

First Post December 28, 2020 04:27 PM

Moving away from music for a moment, I was just wondering while I had a bit of time on my hands, if anyone else is a fan of classic science fiction like Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Kurt Vonnegut and Phillip K. Dick?

December 28, 2020 11:43 PM
I've heard of some of those authors, but I've never really read any their books. I prefer to get my sci-fi from metal instead of classic books. Still a cool interest, Sonny!
January 02, 2021 02:07 PM

I am a slow reader nowadays, considering when I was younger I read 2 books most weeks with horror fiction being my genre of choice.  I have currently been reading the same book for 2 years now, Orlando Figes - The Russian Revolution: A People's Tragedy and then I have the complete works of Poe to get through.

In answer to the question though, no I am not into science fiction be it classic or otherwise.  Not against picking up something in the future but never had any overarching desire to pursue it as a genre.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
January 02, 2021 09:10 PM

Absolutely Sonny! I grew up reading Stephen King and fantasy series like Dragonlance (as a kid), Wheel of Time and eventually Game of Thrones, but have later in life turned to more science fiction. As it so happens, I'm collecting and reading the SF Masterworks series, having read quite a few Wells, Dick and Vonnegut to date.

I think a lot of fans of metal will be into genre stories (fantasy, horror and fantasy), hence the themes and artwork.

January 19, 2021 10:50 PM

As it so happens, I'm collecting and reading the SF Masterworks series, having read quite a few Wells, Dick and Vonnegut to date.

I think a lot of fans of metal will be into genre stories (fantasy, horror and fantasy), hence the themes and artwork.

Quoted Ben

Only just picked up on your reply Ben, so apologies. The SF Masterworks series has got some fantastic titles and is a great place to start with classic science fiction. Richard Matheson's I Am Legend (forget the awful Will Smith movie), Michael Moorcock's Behold the Man, Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle and Roger Zelazney's Lord of Light are some of my favourites in the series. Personally, I think truly great classic sci-fi speaks as much about the human condition as it does space exploration, time travel or exotic technologies.

Likewise, I really started off reading fantasy when I was younger - Tolkien obviously, then moving on to the likes of Stephen Donaldson, Anne McCaffrey and David Eddings. I did get to about volume eight of The Wheel of Time series, but kind of got fed up with it eventually so never completed it. I've never read Game of Thrones but quite enjoyed the TV show, despite the **spoiler alert**  ultimate cop out.

As I've got older, via the likes of Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov, I've moved more towards science fiction for my genre fix (although I do still enjoy Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Clive Barker and other occasional horrors). Modern writers of sci-fi I particularly enjoy and would recommend include Iain M. Banks' Culture novels, Peter Hamilton and the James S.A. Corey Expanse series - I even enjoy the Amazon Prime TV series of the books which is actually pretty well done and fairly faithful to the source material.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
January 20, 2021 12:11 AM

We appear to have a lot in common. Could copy and paste much of what you just said. :+1: