Doom metal sped up 2x

First Post July 05, 2020 06:30 AM

So as some of you already know, even though I like gothic/doom metal, I do this thing where I change the tempo really slow doom metal songs by 2x to get them to the speed I desire. And I know that some of you don't like that because you consider it "blasphemous" to doom metal, but it's not like I'm doing this to ALL doom metal songs, just some. I'm sure other metalheads who like the faster metal genres might enjoy this. This video I've just made and uploaded is for those faster metalheads and also for doom metal "perfectionists" to at least try and see if these versions are any better. Enjoy!

July 05, 2020 06:52 AM

I'll leave that to you Andi. I can't really see the point as it's nullifying the despondency that the slower tempos are intended to create in my opinion.

July 05, 2020 08:35 AM

Doom Metal, particularly the more extreme sub-genres such as funeral doom is paced to create a specific atmosphere of mournfulness, sorrow and desolation. It is impossible for me to grasp why you would want to nullify the artist's intention and the overriding purpose of the music. If you really don't like the music as produced and it's intended atmosphere why would you bother listening to it at all? This doesn't make any sense to me. Would you change the colours on the Mona Lisa because you like orange more than brown? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I really don't get where you're coming from here. I've also got a feeling the band's involved will probably be none too amused if you are altering their music and posting it online.

July 05, 2020 11:36 AM
I'm not trying to nullify anything, I'm just making a variation that can please some people who prefer a little more speed in their metal like I do. I still like a bit of doom metal and its mournfulness, sorrow, and desolation, and I understand that the slowness of doom metal helps create that kind of atmosphere, but it's also created in other metal genres that, unlike doom metal, is more focused on mid-paced/faster tempos like gothic metal and melodic death metal. I can still feel that dark mournful atmosphere in bands like Moonspell and Before the Dawn. Also, remixing metal music by changing the pitch and/or tempo is what I like to do on YouTube, and most of the time, the bands and record labels don't mind. Well I did get some copyright strikes that terminated my first two accounts, by I'm more careful with my current one. And it's not like I would be going super viral or anything because of my really low amount of views, so there's nothing too big to deal with. Remix isn't a crime, it's a common thing. If all my videos get banned right after uploading them, then my YouTube uploading career would be non-existent. Anyway, if you don't like the remixes because you think they ruin the vibe of the original songs, that's fine. But I think it's good to respect the way people listen to music. I'm sure if you're listening to the radio and a remix of a song you like comes on, you wouldn't yell something rude like, "That guy just f***ed up my favorite song! I wanna f***ing murder that son of a b***h!!" No, you wouldn't. We all have our preferences in how we listen to some music, and I just wanna make it slightly easier for anyone who feels the same way I do. If you don't like it, just dust if off and let it be. Respecting what people like is key!
July 05, 2020 12:19 PM

Technically, remixing and uploading without the copyright holder's consent IS actually a crime. And if you think I wouldn't yell anything rude at the radio then you don't know anything about me!

I will leave this alone now Andi, but I presumed that as you had made a post on an internet forum that you were interested in interaction from others. Now I will always give my honest opinion, so if you are offended by it I apologise and will bear this in mind for any future discussions.

July 05, 2020 12:59 PM
No worries. As long as we keep it civil and there isn't anything potentially illegal, it'll be fine.
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
September 15, 2020 09:29 PM

I thought I'd give this a go and listened to the Shape of Despair track.

Takes away everything that's amazing about it, leaving an unlistenable and ineffective mess. Each to their own I guess.

October 09, 2021 11:36 PM

With my recently announced-to-be-starting doom departure (https://metal.academy/forum/7/thread/971), you won't see me do anymore of the sh*t we talked about in this thread, and I'm sure you all might be supportive of my decision, but I know what some of you will also say (though I wouldn't say this myself because it's not in my religion):