Family-friendly metal-related releases

First Post December 21, 2019 10:37 AM

So I took the eight hour drive from Sydney to Grafton with the family today & ended up listening to stuff like The Wiggles the whole way. It got me wondering, what are some of the metal-related records that you get away with playing to friends & family who hate metal? Anathema's post-1996 albums & Ulver's "Kveldssanger" & post 1990's material are examples of what I'm referring to. Go on! Hook a metal brother up for the long drive home next week!

Daniel

December 21, 2019 11:02 AM

Kauan's Sorni Nai is one that springs instantly to mind or what about Chelsea Wolfe's doomy 2017 album Hiss Spun?

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
December 21, 2019 11:11 AM

I hear the new Cattle Decapitation could fit the bill.

In all seriousness, The Gathering is a good one to go for, particularly Souvenirs and Home. They'd dropped the metal by this stage, but still kept the majority of their sound.

December 21, 2019 12:51 PM
My brother likes rock and some metal. My dad doesn't mind metal. However, my mom can't stand metal, unless it's an 80s power ballad. I can show my mom a few metal covers of 80s/90s pop songs that she likes, as long as it doesn't ruin the original song. 1998+ Anathema and The Gathering might also be suitable for my mom, maybe also a few HIM albums...
January 07, 2020 05:00 PM

For me it was Nightwish. My mom is definitely stuck in the 80's but I put on some old Nightwish and that was our driving music. This was in high school and Dark Passion Play just released, but we went through Once as well. Mom didn't notice the singer change as much as I did, but Annette still did a good job and was glad to have something newer that we could listen to over holiday trips.