Songs you hate by bands you like

First Post August 29, 2024 07:48 AM

I found something like this in a subreddit a while back and thought I would start it in this site. Here's my list for some bands I like:

Trivium - "Inception: the Bleeding Skies", "Contempt Breeds Contamination", "Pull Me Into the Void", "Rise Above the Tides"

Bullet for My Valentine - "No Control", "P.O.W. (Prisoner of War)", "Letting You Go", "The Very Last Time", "Breathe Underwater"

Demon Hunter - "A Broken Upper Hand", "Died in My Sleep", "I Don't Believe You", "I Will Fail You" (Resurrected), "Along the Way"

Underoath - "Burden in Your Hands", half the amount of songs from They're Only Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line, and Erase Me

Parkway Drive - "...", "Emotional Breakdown", "The Negotiator", "Fractures", "Cemetery Bloom", "Imperial Heretic", "If a God Can Bleed"

Godflesh - "Circle of Sh*t", "Time, Death and Wastefulness", "Witchhunt", "Whose Truth is Your Truth?", "Control Freak", "Voidhead"

Motionless in White - "Black", "The Seventh Circle", "Broadcasting from Beyond the Grave: Death Inc", "Red, White, and Boom"

Eighteen Visions - half the amount of songs from Yesterday is Time Killed and 2006 self-titled album, "Gorgeous", "Picture Perfect"

Mushroomhead - "Intermission", "Casualties in B Minor", 12-minute medley at the end of debut, "UIOP (The Final Reprieve)", "Doom Goose"

Fear Factory - "Scumgrief (Deep Dub Trauma Mix)", "Back the F*** Up", "Archetype", "School", "Echoes of My Scream", "I Will Follow"

Bad Omens - "Broken Youth", "Reprise (The Sound of the End)", "C:\Projects\CJOST\BEATDEATH", "Terms & Conditions", "Loading Screen"

Linkin Park - "Part of Me", "Cure for the Itch" (including Reanimation remix), "Hit the Floor", "Big Pimpin'/Papercut", "Drawbar", "Lost", half the amount of songs from Minutes to Midnight, A Thousand Suns, and Living Things, almost every song from Recharged and One More Light

Evanescence - "Taking Over Me", "Yeah Right", half the amount of songs from 2011 self-titled album, almost every song from Synthesis

So what are some songs from bands you enjoy that you consider stinkers? Discuss!

August 29, 2024 04:22 PM

Some examples off the top of my head (constraining myself to picks only from albums I do enjoy in general):

Gehenna - "A Witch Is Born" (from "Seen Through the Veils of Darkness", 1995)
Inquisition - "Force of Death Is the Force of Life" (from "Veneration of Medieval Mysticism and Cosmological Violence", 2024)
In Flames - "Dead God in Me" (from "The Jester Race", 1996)
Iron Maiden - "Die with Your Boots On" (from "Piece of Mind", 1983)
Iron Maiden - "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" (from "No Prayer for the Dying", 1990)
<insert any blatant Celtic Frost worship track (or, hell forbid, a cover) by a second wave black metal band>
<insert any hard rock/glam metal cover track by a melodic death metal band>

August 29, 2024 07:18 PM

Iron Maiden - "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" (from "No Prayer for the Dying", 1990)

Quoted Karl

Absolutely. Although shouldn't that be "Bring Your Dowter to the Slowter" - a serious accent malfunction from Bruce on  that one I think!

August 29, 2024 07:48 PM

Absolutely. Although shouldn't that be "Bring Your Dowter to the Slowter" - a serious accent malfunction from Bruce on  that one I think!

Quoted Sonny

I couldn't have said it better myself :-)

August 29, 2024 11:32 PM

Some examples off the top of my head (constraining myself to picks only from albums I do enjoy in general):

Gehenna - "A Witch Is Born" (from "Seen Through the Veils of Darkness", 1995)
Inquisition - "Force of Death Is the Force of Life" (from "Veneration of Medieval Mysticism and Cosmological Violence", 2024)
In Flames - "Dead God in Me" (from "The Jester Race", 1996)
Iron Maiden - "Die with Your Boots On" (from "Piece of Mind", 1983)
<insert any blatant Celtic Frost worship track (or, hell forbid, a cover) by a second wave black metal band>
<insert any hard rock/glam metal cover track by a melodic death metal band>

Quoted Karl

Good list, Karl! I used to listen to In Flames a few years ago. The Jester Race was one of my favorite melodeath albums, and not even "Dead God in Me" could bring it down in my opinion. It was when they started going the alt-metal route in the 2000s that all went downhill from there. I actually enjoy when a melodeath band performs a cover of an 80s hit, as long as the band sounds more like themselves than the artist they're covering, hence metalizing the song. Here are a few of those tracks I found the other day that are my newfound favorite covers:

Norther - "The Final Countdown" (Europe cover) (from Dreams of Endless War, 2002)

Raintime - "Beat It" (Michael Jackson cover) (from Flies & Lies, 2007)

Warmen - "Somebody's Watching Me" (Rockwell cover) (from Accept the Fact, 2005) (more of a track from a power metal band with a guest appearance by a melodeath vocalist. RIP Alexi Laiho)

August 30, 2024 08:21 AM

A couple of early, cynical attempts on the pop charts from Judas Priest - "Take on the World" and "United" really tested my loyalty to the band back in the day and still piss me off even now. I think I hate those two tracks even more than anything Ripper Owens inflicted upon us.

September 03, 2024 04:28 PM

I used to listen to In Flames a few years ago. The Jester Race was one of my favorite melodeath albums, and not even "Dead God in Me" could bring it down in my opinion. It was when they started going the alt-metal route in the 2000s that all went downhill from there.

Quoted Shadowdoom9 (Andi)

Yeah, I still very much do like the album, I mean how could I not when it contains such melo-death staples as "Moonshield" or "December Flower". I was taking the piss for how much they have managed to lobotomize the track that used to be pretty enjoyable in the "Subterranean" era. Not only was the song needlessly elongated, the lyrics have turned up for the worse. Although, the straw that broke the camel's back was of course that stupid cry-baby sample!

A couple of early, cynical attempts on the pop charts from Judas Priest - "Take on the World" and "United" really tested my loyalty to the band back in the day and still piss me off even now. I think I hate those two tracks even more than anything Ripper Owens inflicted upon us.

Quoted Sonny

Man, Priest have amassed quite the assortment of questionable material over the course of their career, haven't they. I saw them earlier this year, and words can't describe how disappointed I was when they decided to close the set out with the steaming pile of shite that is "Living After Midnight". Not to mention that they had the guts to play the goddamn "Turbo Lover". In 2024!

September 03, 2024 07:06 PM

Man, Priest have amassed quite the assortment of questionable material over the course of their career, haven't they. I saw them earlier this year, and words can't describe how disappointed I was when they decided to close the set out with the steaming pile of shite that is "Living After Midnight". Not to mention that they had the guts to play the goddamn "Turbo Lover". In 2024!

Quoted Karl

I completely agree on "Living After Midnight" as I've never understood the following that song seems to have amassed. I couldn't disagree more on "Turbo Lover" though as it's one of my all-time favourite heavy metal tracks. Still gives me chills up my spine to this day.

September 03, 2024 07:14 PM

I completely agree on "Living After Midnight" as I've never understood the following that song seems to have amassed. I couldn't disagree more on "Turbo Lover" though as it's one of my all-time favourite heavy metal tracks. Still gives me chills up my spine to this day.

Quoted Daniel

Hahaha I love this comment! I'd say that your review of "Turbo" is long overdue (-: