Non-Guardians albums with a DND feel? (preferably clean)

First Post February 09, 2024 06:58 PM

Last night I joined my first campaign, and I gotta say I had fun.  We're switching to Pathfinder rules next week, but hey.  Anyway, I was thinking of making a playlist of this kind of metal, but I don't wanna load it with symphonic, power and neoclassical, on the off chance that maybe I can use it in the campaign.  The only catch is simple: it's in a nerd store where you pay 5 bucks per session, and it's public, and children come there to buy Pokemon cards.  So if you've got some clean metal that's good for the epic adventure / fantasy stuff in your own clans, shoot me up with your recs.

February 09, 2024 08:28 PM

I'd suggest that Bal-Sagoth would probably fall into this camp, wouldn't they?

February 09, 2024 09:36 PM

I'd suggest that Bal-Sagoth would probably fall into this camp, wouldn't they?

Quoted Daniel

That is fucking prime.  I've heard one of there albums before and this is perfect.

February 09, 2024 09:44 PM

Stormkeep's Lost Relics EP from last year is your classic background, atmospheric, triumphant, fantastical Dungeon Synth. Could work pretty well, I thought it was more interesting than most background Dungeon Synth.

Tales of the Sands, Legacy, and Shehili by Myrath have that Arabic desert feel although it's kinda close to Power Metal, could work depending on the crowd. 

Elder is always a nice pick for extended background tracks, has that spacey feel that blends into conversation, I'd probably recommend either Innate Passage or Reflections of a Floating World.

Lucid Planet's II is a very atmospheric / psychedelic focused album with some bite to it, could be cool. 

Maybe some straight up Folk like Wardruna's Kvitravn or any of their Runaljod albums. A lot of Folk / Viking Metal is pretty aggressive so it's hard to find a rec off the top of my head. 

Slough Feg too.

February 09, 2024 11:21 PM

Summoning?

February 10, 2024 12:12 AM

Dragoncorpse - The Drakketh Saga. Sure this album leans towards symphonic power metal, but deathcore is the more dominating genre there. Maybe a little too extreme for the kids, but at least the lyrics don't have any swearing.