The Gallery: The Cover Art Discussion Thread

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
September 30, 2023 02:10 AM

Verwimp does have a very distinctive style, Ben. He seems to use a technique that gives his paintings a "soft focus". I always liked the Absu covers and never realised that he was so prolific a cover artist.

By the way, Ben, does the site mechanics have a limit to the number of entries we can have on a list?

Quoted Sonny

I'd like to say no, but I did have an issue with a list I created a couple of years back that had close to 400 releases in (from memory). It was one of the label lists I created. I'm hoping it was just a one off, but I didn't appear to be able to add any more than that. My developer told me there's no limit though, so it could have just been an anomaly. I guess we'll find out at some point!

Ben
Ben
September 30, 2023 02:40 AM

Got a Michael Whelan list right here.  I'm a huge Meat Loaf fan, and I generally love the cover art, but Whelan's had a couple other amazing works, notably Arise and Dark Days.  I wish he would do album covers more often.

Quoted Rexorcist

Not many Whelan cover were made specifically for the album we see them on. His art first appeared on novels, then metal labels started licensing it for album covers. Some of the more famous covers originated on Moorecock and Lovecraft reprints in the early 80s. The only pieces I know for sure he made specifically for album covers are Sepultura Arise and Evile Infected Nations.

Here are some of the relevant paintings that were all created in the late 70s and early 80s, and appeared on fantasy and horror novels. You have to say that Demolition Hammer really didn't do the original art justice on their Epidemic of Violence cover.

September 30, 2023 02:56 AM

Got a Michael Whelan list right here.  I'm a huge Meat Loaf fan, and I generally love the cover art, but Whelan's had a couple other amazing works, notably Arise and Dark Days.  I wish he would do album covers more often.

Quoted Rexorcist

Not many Whelan cover were made specifically for the album we see them on. His art first appeared on novels, then metal labels started licensing it for album covers.

Quoted Ben

I know that.  That doesn't mean I don't like his covers or feel they're innapropriate for the music.

September 30, 2023 03:39 AM

I am a massive Michael Moorcock fan and have a ton of his paperbacks that I bought in the late 70s and early 80s, quite a few of which have Whelan's paintings on the covers. I have always loved his Elric paintings used by Cirith Ungol and his Smoulder covers are excellent too. 

Ben
Ben
September 30, 2023 09:19 PM

Quoted Rexorcist

Not many Whelan cover were made specifically for the album we see them on. His art first appeared on novels, then metal labels started licensing it for album covers.

Quoted Ben

I know that.  That doesn't mean I don't like his covers or feel they're innapropriate for the music.

Quoted Rexorcist

I never stated anything to do with how you felt Rexorcist. My comments were purely informational for anyone that cares, and not to be taken as some sort of retort. I've researched Whelan's involvement with metal for a previous website, so have a general interest in the subject.

October 04, 2023 03:27 PM

I have added a new list. This one is for Adam Burke, aka Nightjar Illustration. You may have seen his covers on Vektor's "Terminal Redux" or Temple of Void's "The World That Was". He has a very distinctive and recognizable style.

https://metal.academy/lists/single/250

Ben
Ben
October 04, 2023 09:01 PM

Another great list Sonny. I'm really enjoying these artist-focused lists.

October 04, 2023 09:50 PM

Thanks, Ben. I am really enjoying putting them together. Hopefully they will serve nicely as a reference source for cover artists. Next I am working on one for Felipe Machado Franco who does a lot of power metal covers for the likes of Rhapsody of Fire, Blind Guardian and Iced Earth.

October 18, 2023 03:12 PM

Another new list added. This one is for Felipe Machado Franco whose distinctive art adorns many power metal album covers:

https://metal.academy/lists/single/255