Unliked albums that you actually liked?

First Post July 30, 2023 11:02 PM

I don't get all the slack for Grand Declaration of War by Mayhem.  That album shows a creative peak for them, and even proved that they can function as a band even without Euronymous.

July 30, 2023 11:36 PM

I completely agree. The flack that album receives is totally misguided in my opinion.

July 31, 2023 12:02 AM

Many albums from Attila, Emmure, and the deathcore era of Bring Me the Horizon. I can understand the hate for those bands/albums but I find them underrated and enjoy them far more than nearly everyone in the world does.

July 31, 2023 12:21 AM

In my experience, I agree with Andi that Emmure are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be. I actually don't mind 2011's "Speaker of the Dead" & 2012's "Slave to the Game" albums.

On a similar slant, I'm nominating Suicide Silence's 2011 "The Black Crown" album which we featured last month & I ended up awarding four stars.

July 31, 2023 12:31 AM

There are a couple Attila albums I enjoy: Closure, Villain and Rage.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
July 31, 2023 01:50 AM

I don't get all the slack for Grand Declaration of War by Mayhem.  That album shows a creative peak for them, and even proved that they can function as a band even without Euronymous.

Quoted Rexorcist

Totally agree!

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
July 31, 2023 01:55 AM

The first album that comes to mind is Bethlehem's Mein Weg. Currently 2.91 on RYM, but I really dig it. Sure, it's strange, and the gothic metal tag really doesn't fit, but I find it to be endlessly compelling and thoroughly entertaining.

I've considered picking it as a Fallen feature, but it just feels so wrong in that clan.

July 31, 2023 04:25 AM

More on the subject of slam, people on RYM don't seem to like Disfiguring the Goddess that much.  But I am head over heels with Deprive.  I adore that Lovecraftian vibe.

July 31, 2023 04:26 AM

There are a couple Attila albums I enjoy: Closure, Villain and Rage.

Quoted Rexorcist

Rage and Outlawed are, to me, a perfect transition between their earlier metal/deathcore sound and their later nu metalcore. Villain and Closure I also find enjoyable.

July 31, 2023 05:20 AM

A lot of black metal fans seem to take against Gorgoroth's Destroyer: Or About How to Philosophize With the Hammer, but it's my favourite Gorgoroth album.

July 31, 2023 05:21 AM

More on the subject of slam, people on RYM don't seem to like Disfiguring the Goddess that much.  But I am head over heels with Deprive.  I adore that Lovecraftian vibe.

Quoted Rexorcist

I really dig 2012's "Sleeper" E.P. & feel it should qualify here too.

September 22, 2023 01:00 AM

I revisited Dream Theater's 1989 debut album "When Dream & Day Unite" over the last couple of days & it fits very comfortably into this category for me. It's a fantastic record with stunning performances that is only held back by Terry Date's poor production job. People need to get over the fact that James LaBrie wasn't in the band yet & treat it purely on its merit.

September 22, 2023 01:32 AM

I revisited Dream Theater's 1989 debut album "When Dream & Day Unite" over the last couple of days & it fits very comfortably into this category for me. It's a fantastic record with stunning performances that is only held back by Terry Date's poor production job. People need to get over the fact that James LaBrie wasn't in the band yet & treat it purely on its merit.

Quoted Daniel

I'm with this entirely.  Both times I heard it, even years apart, I thought it was a great debut.

September 22, 2023 03:08 PM

Yeah, it's always perplexed me that people don't care for it since it's a great piece of Fates Warning-inspired prog metal. Guess it's just because it's not quite the sound they would become.