Most Consistently Great Metal Acts

First Post May 22, 2023 04:41 PM

I'd be interested to hear what bands you all think can do pretty much no wrong throughout their discographies. 

The scope can be whatever the person makes it, I'm not trying to get a clear or definitive answer, just curious since Enslaved have come to my attention once again with the release of Heimdal this year and I genuinely think their run of albums is becoming pretty legendary. Spanning almost 30 years now and reinventing their sound from Atmospheric Black Metal beginnings to a strange Prog blend now without really missing a beat anywhere along the way is pretty impressive and I haven't found an album I dislike. Moonsorrow is up there as well even though they're more of a personal taste, but they've released less than half of the albums Enslaved have. 

There are bands with insanely good runs like Black Sabbath's 1970's material or Death's 11 year run that produced classic after classic, but I feel like there are some other bands worth talking about that are just consistently good/great or weathered lineup/style changes without falling apart. Insomnium would be another one for me, although they haven't gone through as many sweeping changes as Enslaved seems to have. 

May 22, 2023 09:57 PM

Enslaved are a great band and one of my personal favourites. To produce such a consistently strong run of releases over such a long period of time without putting hardly a foot wrong is an impressive feat.

Maybe controversially I would suggest Opeth as I really like their prog rock stuff as well as the metal they are better known for. Another impressive band, I think, is Monolithe who have also been ridiculously consistent over their nine albums and have evolved from a death doom outfit into a more prog metal, albeit still death doom-based, band.

They haven't changed a huge amount over the years, but Esoteric have been exceptionally consistent (if you are a funeral doom freak anyway).

May 22, 2023 09:58 PM

Death is the most obvious one but I'd also nominate Converge & Gorguts.

May 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Having done my reviewing journey through the Amorphis and Fear Factory discographies this month, I'm amazed by how solid these two bands are throughout each of their over 3-decade tenures. Their mid-90s classics are a few of the best masterpiece albums I've heard, and Amorphis restored some of that perfect glory in the second half of the 2010s. Even what is considered those bands' weakest albums from the mid-2000s still have some greatness in them, though they're not without one or two stinkers. And their 1992 death metal debuts are solid albums that I would recommend to fans of that genre. With so many amazing albums, it's no wonder Amorphis and Fear Factory are two of the most well-praised metal bands today! A couple other bands fitting this category that come to my mind include Annihilator and Kamelot, the latter having a 4-album perfect streak (from The Fourth Legacy to The Black Halo) which is one reason why I still haven't let go of that power metal band along with DragonForce.

May 22, 2023 10:44 PM

Quoted Daniel

Can't forget about Converge, though I say their greatness starts from their second album, Petitioning the Empty Sky, onwards.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
May 22, 2023 11:52 PM

I'm going to throw Blut Aus Nord into this conversation. Sure, they have a couple of albums that weren't that well received in the late 2000s, but the vast majority of their 14 full length albums are superb. They're also quite experimental with their sound, making their consistency extra impressive.

May 22, 2023 11:54 PM

Can't forget about Converge, though I say their greatness starts from their second album, Petitioning the Empty Sky, onwards.

Quoted Shadowdoom9 (Andi)

I quite like Converge's debut album "Halo in a Haystack" to be honest. I don't think they've released a dud in their entire career.

May 22, 2023 11:57 PM

A couple other bands fitting this category that come to my mind include Annihilator and Kamelot

You're on your own with the Annihilator call Andi. I'd actually go the complete other direction with them to be honest.

May 23, 2023 06:27 AM

A couple other bands fitting this category that come to my mind include Annihilator and Kamelot

You're on your own with the Annihilator call Andi. I'd actually go the complete other direction with them to be honest.

Quoted Daniel

Yeah, I'm With Daniel on this one Andi. Personally I find Annihilator unlistenable.

May 23, 2023 06:28 AM

I'm going to throw Blut Aus Nord into this conversation. Sure, they have a couple of albums that weren't that well received in the late 2000s, but the vast majority of their 14 full length albums are superb. They're also quite experimental with their sound, making their consistency extra impressive.

Quoted Ben

Good shout Ben. 

May 23, 2023 08:20 AM

Quoted Daniel

Gorguts would be my major call on this thread.  A band that not only consistently puts out quality material but actually improves with every release also.  Likewise, I would agree with Death being on the list, obviously.  BAN are another great call.  There are some golden runs that I cannot get away without mentioning - first 4 Metallica records and first 4 Sepultura also.  Both more or less went to shit afterwards unfortunately so would not qualify for the whole discography sphere of this thread.

Couple of others from me:

Nordicwinter, one man Canadian bm artist who can do no wrong in my book.

Sargeist, consistency is key in this accolade and this guys are as solid as they come.

Autopsy, I can't think of anyone else who produces such consistently sloppy and ugly death metal, release after release.  They pretend to be nothing other than what they are and make no apologies for being so.