5. Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses

6. Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction

7. Baphomet - The Dead Shall Inherit

8. Internal Void - Standing on the Sun

9. Helmet - Meantime

10. Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade

August 02, 2023 10:43 PM
August 02, 2023 11:10 PM

Rex, you can make that address into a link by using the LINK button when posting (hint: it looks like a chain link). Interesting list by the way. Nice variety.

August 02, 2023 11:11 PM

Rex, you can make that address into a link by using the LINK button when posting (hint: it looks like a chain link). Interesting list by the way. Nice variety.

Quoted Daniel

Fixed.  Thanks for the comment and the info.

August 02, 2023 11:13 PM

Epic list, Rex!

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 02, 2023 11:24 PM

Really interesting list. My top 100 would be way less diverse than this one, that's for sure! I can see a number that would likely make mine though, including Metallica, Arcturus, Suffocation, Opeth, Death, Blut Aus Nord, Emperor, Iron Maiden and My Dying Bride.

August 02, 2023 11:40 PM

Thanks, guys!  It's got a few updates from when I last posted it anywhere, notably the switch from Seasons in the Abyss to South of Heaven being my favorite Slayer album.  Still, the variety here is nothing compared to my top 100 albums ever.

I'm gonna be working on some genre charts.  I might even work on a bottom 100 metal albums list :P.

August 03, 2023 01:36 AM

Here's a new one: my top 100 power metal albums.  I wanted that to be the first genre chart I put up here for my first clan choice: the Guardians.

August 03, 2023 02:34 AM

Really interesting list. My top 100 would be way less diverse than this one, that's for sure! I can see a number that would likely make mine though, including Metallica, Arcturus, Suffocation, Opeth, Death, Blut Aus Nord, Emperor, Iron Maiden and My Dying Bride.

Quoted Ben

You know, now that you mention it, I really do want to see what your top 100's look like.  A top 100 says a lot about a person, and they're a lot of fun to look through.  Now you've got that 80's death metal list and that early black metal list.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 03, 2023 03:23 AM

Quoted Ben

You know, now that you mention it, I really do want to see what your top 100's look like.  A top 100 says a lot about a person, and they're a lot of fun to look through.  Now you've got that 80's death metal list and that early black metal list.

Quoted Rexorcist

I'm in the process of trying to figure this out. I've listened to around 80 of the biggest death, thrash, black and doom releases in recent months, and have them all rated and ranked. I'll continue with those genres for a while before adding others that I enjoy, such as progressive, industrial, gothic and heavy. I'm afraid it's going to be a while before I have something to show for it, but I'm enjoying the process.

August 03, 2023 03:37 AM

Quoted Ben

Quoted Rexorcist

I'm in the process of trying to figure this out. I've listened to around 80 of the biggest death, thrash, black and doom releases in recent months, and have them all rated and ranked. I'll continue with those genres for a while before adding others that I enjoy, such as progressive, industrial, gothic and heavy. I'm afraid it's going to be a while before I have something to show for it, but I'm enjoying the process.

Quoted Ben

I actually keep a log of every album I've ever heard ranked from best to worst.  I don't expect you to do THAT, but a couple notes every now and then about things you're absolutely certain about will help a lot.  Because the more thought you put into a big project earlier on, the quicker you can think about it and make decisions later.  Or so I keep hearing.

August 04, 2023 01:54 AM

I just took an inventory of my djent ratings by composing a private list of top djent.  It's kinda shitty.  I only finished albums by a handful of bands and many of the albums by the same bands came up.  There's only 20 that ended up being at least 3.5 stars. So if anyone has any djent recommendation, please PM me.

I like very diverse albums.  No Meshuggah or Sithu Aye, though.  I'm familiar enough with them,.

August 12, 2023 11:38 AM

OK, so I've given my Top 100 Metal Releases of All Time list a crack:

https://metal.academy/lists/single/227

August 12, 2023 12:52 PM

Impressive list, Daniel!

August 12, 2023 02:16 PM

OK, so I've given my Top 100 Metal Releases of All Time list a crack:

https://metal.academy/lists/single/227

Quoted Daniel

THERE we go!  There's a definite love of the dark and grody here, and that love is shown through a lot of angels.  But the best part was finding some albums I've never heard of, like the Lucid Planet one.  It seems to have a little of almost everything, including a folk metal and a djent album.  And +1 for having a Merzbow collab up there.

September 02, 2023 03:05 PM

I have been reacquainting myself with  Amorphis' Tales From the Thousand Lakes over the last couple of days and during the course of that I noticed how many of my favourite albums were released that year, so I thought I'd do a quick top 10.

Sonny's Top Ten Releases of 1994:

1. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

2. Mayhem - De mysteriis dom Sathanas

3. Enslaved - Vikingligr veldi

4. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

5. Cianide - A Descent Into Hell

6. Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss

7. Fimbulwinter - Servants of Sorcery

8. Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens

9. Gorement - The Ending Quest

10. Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes

Nothing rates less than a 9/10 for me on this list.

September 06, 2023 08:35 PM

^ Lots of black metal there.

On the subject of black metal, I just rearranged my black metal releases on my over top 100 metal list.  I've got a couple new entries, kicked off Immortal and rose one album all the way from the 70's to top 5.

https://metal.academy/lists/single/218

New BM top ten:

1. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

2. Emperor - Prometheus

3. Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde

4. Enslaved - Mardraum

5. Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet

6. Windir - Arntor

7. Gris - Il était une forêt...

8. Esoctrlihum - Eternity of Shaog

9. Oranssi Pazuzu - Mestarin kynsi

10. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

September 12, 2023 01:05 AM

This week's revisit to Winter's "Into Darkness" has seen me needing to find room for it in my Top Ten Metal Releases of All Time list. I've had to drop Cult of Luna's "Somewhere Along the Highway" out of the list altogether so that "Into Darkness" can take up position number 83.

September 16, 2023 09:57 PM

I put my Top Ten Metal Releases of 1988 list together yesterday after revisiting a number of old records from my past over the last month or so with this being the result:

01. Metallica - "...And Justice For All"

02. Slayer - "South of Heaven"

03. Iron Maiden - "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"

04. Bathory - "Blood Fire Death"

05. Pestilence - "Malleus Maleficarum"

06. Queensrÿche - "Operation: Mindcrime

07. Godflesh - "Godflesh" E.P.

08. Viking - "Do or Die"

09. Vio-lence - "Eternal Nightmare"

10. Razor - "Violent Restitution"

https://metal.academy/lists/single/239

September 16, 2023 11:09 PM

Here's my top 10 of 1988:

1. Voivod - Dimension Hatröss

2. Godflesh - Godflesh

3. Sadus - Illusions

4. Coroner - Punishment for Decadence

5. Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum

6. Anthrax - State of Euphoria

7. Ministry - The Land of Rape and Honey

8. Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear

9. Old - Old Lady Drivers

10. Adramelch - Irae Melanox

September 16, 2023 11:20 PM

I just put together two more top 100's.

Prog: https://metal.academy/lists/single/225

Thrash: https://metal.academy/lists/single/240

September 25, 2023 11:04 PM

I just updated my top 100.  The top ten has a couple new surprises.  Here it is.

One more thing...

My top 100 black metal albums

September 26, 2023 12:47 AM

Do you mind me asking how you score your releases out of 100 Rex? I assume there's some sort of calculation tool that helps you to come up with those results?

September 26, 2023 12:53 AM

Do you mind me asking how you score your releases out of 100 Rex? I assume there's some sort of calculation tool that helps you to come up with those results?

Quoted Daniel

Actually, back when I first started getting into albums 11 years ago, I used a .5 system, like 0.0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, etc.  Eventually, I heard so many albums that it really just didn't feel accurate anymore.  So I've gotten extremely picky about my ratings pretty quickly.

But there is a reason.  Anytime I review something, I ask myself four questions:

1. What is the goal of this album?

2. Does the creator meet that goal?

3. What sacrifices or negligences were made to meet that goal?

4. Were these sacrifices made up for by other aspects of the album?

I do the same for movies, books and video games.  And after comparing it to other similar albums, which is where the score comes in, I then compare that album to other albums with the same score, which is how I organize my catalog.