Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill

Converge - Jane Doe

Godflesh - Street CLeaner

Immortal - At the Heart of Winter

To name a few.

August 19, 2022 12:28 AM

Here are the 10 heaviest albums I can think of that I enjoy and used to enjoy (including when I used to listen to a lot of melodic death metal):

1. Chelsea Grin - Eternal Nightmare (2018)

2. Godflesh - Streetcleaner (1989)

3. Converge - Jane Doe (2001)

4. Strapping Young Lad - Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing (1995)

5. Revocation - Chaos of Forms (2011)

6. Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God (2008)

7. Parasite Inc. - Time Tears Down (2013)

8. Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges (1999)

9. Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (2004)

10. Parkway Drive - Deep Blue (2010)

August 19, 2022 02:19 AM

It's a hard question to answer but I'd suggest that almost my entire top ten would come from The Fallen. I don't think terms like "brutal" & "extreme" are the same thing as "heavy". To me that term is about suffocatingly thick down-tuned riffs that make your insides shake so subgenres like Drone Metal, Sludge Metal & Doom Metal would certainly feature fairly prominently in my list.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 19, 2022 06:02 AM

It's a hard question to answer but I'd suggest that almost my entire top ten would come from The Fallen. I don't think terms like "brutal" & "extreme" are the same thing as "heavy". To me that term is about suffocatingly thick down-tuned riffs that make your insides shake so subgenres like Drone Metal, Sludge Metal & Doom Metal would certainly feature fairly prominently in my list.

Quoted Daniel

Agreed.

August 19, 2022 07:24 AM

Quoted Daniel

Agreed.

Quoted Ben

Thirded!!

August 19, 2022 07:47 AM

I don't understand this.  Is this not just a "list some albums" thread?

August 19, 2022 09:06 AM

Yes it is Vinny. Please list some albums & pretend you know what you're doing so as to fit in with the cool kids.

August 19, 2022 12:04 PM

I'm out.

August 19, 2022 12:12 PM

Obviously don't list "Heroes of Mighty Magic" by Twilight Force.  That so-called "metal" is lighter than 70's metal.

August 19, 2022 12:28 PM

Yep. Power metal is often more melodic than heavy for the most part.

August 19, 2022 02:59 PM

I'll be honest.  Thos is more of an icebreakerthread so I can see what the people here consider heavy through album examples.  There aren't many people here, andco versation is rpetty minimal, especially since most of the conversations go on while I'm asleep.

August 19, 2022 04:00 PM

If I was forced into a particular answer off the top of my head, Rexorcist,  I would have to suggest bands like Hell, Thou, Sunn O))), Earth, Ufomammut and definitely Electric Wizard.

August 19, 2022 11:30 PM

OK, new contender - Hell II.  Heavier and slower than Dopesmoker, but just as diverse and metallic as Burnt Offerings.

August 20, 2022 12:24 AM

Also a new contender: Cemetary - Godless Beauty. Beautiful gothic metal mixed with heavy melodeath-doom. Think of this like the early 90s eras of Paradise Lost and Tiamat combined with a more melodic spice.

August 20, 2022 01:25 AM

Alright I'm wrong - Hell III is heavier.

August 20, 2022 09:03 AM

Alright I'm wrong - Hell III is heavier.

Quoted Rexorcist

One of my all-time favourites right there.