Psychedelic Metal?

First Post August 16, 2022 08:21 PM

I noticed quite a few albums of varying genres having a very psychedelic approach, not just the stoner of Electric Wizard and Sleep, but the tag has also been used to describe the early Esoteric career, Ufomammut, much of Orannssi Pazuzu's catalogue, Hallucinogen by Blut Aus Nord and Boris's post-metal and stoner metal albums.

https://www.last.fm/tag/psychedelic+metal/artists

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/tag/psychedelic-metal/

I don't agree with all of the bands listed in the first link, but let's be honest: early Sabbath albums were the first metal albums, and they were pretty fuckin' psychedelic.  I think we can talk about where it would go after we decide whether or not we should include it.  We might get our genres from a very reliable third party, but we're our own website as well.

August 16, 2022 10:05 PM

To clarify our position on genre/subgenre inclusion, yes we did use RYM as an initial reference point for ease of use but have gone our own way since then. We've found that other sites tend to look for reasons to create subgenres based on inconsequential & inconsistent features of a few releases & that's not really in line with what we're trying to do here. In fact, we're probably more likely to trim back our genre inclusions further than we are to expand on them unnecessarily.

With any new subgenres that are brought to the table I'm conducting a deep dive like the one I've just started for Stenchcore. This is not only to check the relevance of the subgenre for possible inclusion at MA but also to identify the best way to enable Ben to add these releases to the clans system accurately if we elect not to go that way. The Southern Metal investigation I conducted recently is an example of that & we decided not to include it based on my findings which indicated that there was no consistency in sound from release to release & that the links to Southern Rock were tenuous at best in most cases. Similarly, in my experience with the artists you're referencing above the psychedelic component is more of a descriptor than it is the base genre. You could have psychedelic heavy metal or psychedelic grindcore but do we really want those things in the same clan & genre? The answer is no we don't. We've already seen that moves like that cause issues with flaky genres like Symphonic Metal & Neoclassical Metal. It's better to keep it higher level in most cases.

August 16, 2022 10:11 PM

I figured the answer would be something along those lines.