If you had to think of an animal/mascot/spirit animal to represent your clans...

First Post August 13, 2022 12:32 AM

What would they be?

My clans are:

The Guardians: I'd say an eagle for German and America both having their own power metal genres and for having eagles as their official animal..

The Infinite: monkey for their intelligence and the technicality of the clan's music.

The Pit: snake, easily, because they're such metal animals.  No other reason.

August 13, 2022 02:15 AM

I always think of my own spirit animals to be the rabbit (representing my mild side) and the bear (representing my wild side). A few years before I joined the Metal Academy, I was a soft melodic bunny who enjoyed power metal and melodic progressive metal (the two genres you adore, Rexorcist), but thanks to a YouTube pen-pal of mine, I decided to transform into a metalcore/extreme progressive metal-loving bear. Since joining the Metal Academy, a few of the other members encouraged to bring back that melodic power metal bunny side of me, but after a couple years, that ultimately did not work out. I decided to convert my bunny side into alternative metal, which I've actually tested out a few bands of that genre before beginning my true metal interest with power metal.

Anyway, so my spirit animal for The Gateway is the rabbit for hopping into wider influences. My spirit animal for the Revolution is the bear because of how wild and rebellious they can be. And my spirit animal for The Sphere would a cyborg rabbit-bear hybrid. I agree with the spirit animal ideas for your clans, Rexorcist, those animals fit them quite well! Now what would the remaining 3 clans' spirit animals be? Probably sloth for The Fallen, lion for The Horde, and raven for The North. I don't know, we'll let members of those 3 remaining class decide what their spirit animals would be...

August 13, 2022 03:38 AM

Pretty cool read.  Though I don't "agree" with the rabbit, I understand why you felt that way.

I thought of a raven being used as well, but for The Fallen for its inclusion of Gothic metal and doom metal.  With that in mind, my brain was screaming "Edgar Allen Poe."  But that's really all I wanna say about my choices for the other clans.  I wanna see what the other academics say, first.

August 13, 2022 04:47 AM

Surely The Fallen would have a mammoth.

I’d suggest The Horde would have to be a zombie & The north might be a vampire bat?

August 13, 2022 08:28 AM

A mammoth is exactly what occured to me to represent the Fallen. A raven (Huginn and Muninn are both Odin's ravens in norse mythology) for the North, or alternatively a wolf. Death's Head moth for the Horde? Thresher (thrasher) shark for the pit.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 13, 2022 09:16 AM

The North has go to be a wolf. I can't tell you how many North releases have a wolf on the cover.

August 13, 2022 01:57 PM

I had a wolf in mind for the North, too.

August 15, 2022 02:36 AM

Since there aren't many posters, I'll tell you what I had in mind for the Horde: rats.  They brought the black plague, and a group of rats IS called a horde.

Plus, rats are fucking rad.

August 15, 2022 05:56 AM

Since there aren't many posters, I'll tell you what I had in mind for the Horde: rats.  They brought the black plague, and a group of rats IS called a horde.

Plus, rats are fucking rad.

Quoted Rexorcist

Good call.

August 21, 2022 01:03 AM

Here's some food for thought.  If the Sphere needs something mechanical, why not an insect?  For the yellow, the first thing I thought of was a hornet.  But who should get a raven?

August 21, 2022 04:57 AM

Could The Sphere be an alien? Or would that be The Infinite? I was actually thinking The Infinite could be an angel. A raven is about as good a representation of The North as we’ve heard to date. An eagle is another idea for The Guardians.

August 21, 2022 02:40 PM

I like the idea of using aliens and angels for a magical creature theme.  Alien would be the best choice for The Sphere in that instance, but I understand how hard it is to think of an animal for a genre who's leading concept and image revolves around machinery.

Since the topic kind of shifted to "think of an animal for every clan," OK, so here's what we have so far:

Fallen: Mammoth seems to be the most interesting idea to Fallen members.

Gateway: The only entry was a rabbit, and that was more of a personal spirit animal thing.

Guardians: Eagle it is.

Horde: Mixed bag so far, but I'm still really leaning on Rat.

Infinite: So far we've had a couple of sci-fi ideas and a monkey.  So nothing concrete.

North: Wolf or raven.

Pit: Snake or shark.  Snake pit, anyone?

Revolution: just a spirit animal thing for bear, so nothing concrete.  But bear doesn't really say "punk" to me.

Sphere: Nothing concrete, despite the sci-fi ideas.

August 21, 2022 05:27 PM

Revolution - Wolverine, the most "punk" animal going.

August 21, 2022 05:55 PM

Aren't wolverines essential small bears?

August 21, 2022 10:11 PM

Quoted Rexorcist

No, they are a particularly vicious relative of the polecats or weasels.

From wikipaedia:

"The wolverine has a reputation for ferocity and strength out of proportion to its size, with the documented ability to kill prey many times larger than itself."

If that's not a "metal" animal, then I don't know what is!

August 21, 2022 10:18 PM

I like this wolverine idea & think it ties in really well with the clan in question actually.

August 21, 2022 11:06 PM

Quoted Rexorcist

From wikipaedia:

"The wolverine has a reputation for ferocity and strength out of proportion to its size, with the documented ability to kill prey many times larger than itself."

Quoted Sonny

I never said it wasn't METAL.  I just don't know if it's PUNK.  When I think of punk, I think of hyperactivity and obnoxiousness, as well as rebellion and... revolution.  Wolverines are one of my favorite animals because of their raw fucking power, and I'd love a wolverine to represent something here, but I don't know if The Revolution is the right place.  Of course, I'm not a member of the Revolution and I've never taken part in their discussions the way I have Guardians.  And I know it's technically a relative of weasels; the point I was making was that it's still pretty similar to a bear in shape, structure and strength.

August 22, 2022 09:50 AM

Quoted Rexorcist

From wikipaedia:

Quoted Sonny

I never said it wasn't METAL.  I just don't know if it's PUNK.  When I think of punk, I think of hyperactivity and obnoxiousness, as well as rebellion and... revolution.  Wolverines are one of my favorite animals because of their raw fucking power, and I'd love a wolverine to represent something here, but I don't know if The Revolution is the right place.  Of course, I'm not a member of the Revolution and I've never taken part in their discussions the way I have Guardians.  And I know it's technically a relative of weasels; the point I was making was that it's still pretty similar to a bear in shape, structure and strength.

Quoted Rexorcist

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the essential bearishness of wolverines for now - at least until I can get the funding for my planned new Rate Your Wildlife website. (If any wolverines are reading this who do identify as bears that's cool too. I have no wish to judge any creature based on their lifestyle choices).

How about a bluebottle then? They break into your house with shit all over their feet, vomit on your food then incessantly buzz round your head on a Sunday afternoon when you're trying to watch the match. They also abandon their kids to grow up inside a dead body. How much more punk can you get!?

August 22, 2022 11:46 AM

Yeah, that's pretty fuckin' punk.