Interesting stat for each of the top level metal genres on RYM

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post August 02, 2022 04:54 AM

Now that there are 25 (yes, 25!) top level metal genres on RYM, I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see just how many albums in each genre (that have at least 50 ratings) have been released this decade so far. Below are my findings.

If nothing else, these numbers show that Black Metal and Death Metal are absolutely HUGE in current times. Albums with a Black Metal or Death Metal primary (and yes, there would definitely be some crossover) make up 44% of all metal releases with at least 50 ratings released between 2020 and 2022. Well that explains why I'm always adding new bands and releases for those two genres. It also explains why I'm failing to come up with many new Folk or Viking Metal tracks of interest for the North playlist. There's simply not that much out there.

In a certain light, these stats could also bring into question the existence of some established genres. Before I go any further, I'm certainly not suggesting we use this data to change Metal Academy, at least not in the current environment. I just find it interesting. Given there are around 3000 metal releases with at least 50 ratings in the time period, isn't it a bit telling that only 4 have been given the Neoclassical Metal genre? What about this new Southern Metal genre?! It's been available to use for many months now, yet there is only 1 album with it as a primary genre.

I'll stop my over-analysing there. I'd be interested to hear what others think of this data. Does it reveal anything interesting to you?

August 02, 2022 05:28 AM
Seems like black metal and death metal have been really on the rise this decade. I'm glad to see my two favorite metal genres progressive metal and metalcore reach over 200, along with doom metal. No wonder it's easier for me to find brand-new tracks for my monthly Revolution playlists than the Sphere. So, anyone else have anything to say about this?
August 02, 2022 05:39 AM

My observations:

1. Sonny has likely listened to over 222 doom metal releases this decade.

2. Neoclassical Metal & Southern Metal are not a metal subgenres.

3. Ben has far too much time on his hands.

4. I am well behind on modern metal & are progressively getting more so.

August 02, 2022 08:34 AM

My observations:

1. Sonny has likely listened to over 222 doom metal releases this decade.

2. Neoclassical Metal & Southern Metal are not a metal subgenres.

3. Ben has far too much time on his hands.

4. I am well behind on modern metal & are progressively getting more so.

Quoted Daniel

I think it's only 221 and I don't know which I've missed!!

In truth it seems I've listened to just over 90 of those (although I've also listened to a lot with less than 50 ratings), so it looks like I have much work left to do!

No surprise that there are so many black metal albums. It seems every man and his dog are making bm nowadays. Some of them are even good!

I am surprised that there are only 115 post-metal releases because that seems to be the "trendy" (for want of a better word) genre of modern times.

August 04, 2022 03:08 AM

Here are some Spotify playlists I've made compiling songs from the RYM popular 20 of progressive metal and metalcore, the two favorite metal genres of mine that have reached over 200. Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1wU8Mic7e8a3PaH2LbIczy

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5oWvTIQn3vVYpwHkChoWRb

August 11, 2022 10:13 PM

It figures the metalheads there go for the most extreme music they can find.  In fact, if you search black metal on the recent year charts and only filter in studio albums, you'll occasionally get 25 pages of albums.  What's 25 times 40?

We're getting at least 1,000 new black metal albums every year.  That feels... obsessive.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 12, 2022 04:51 AM

It figures the metalheads there go for the most extreme music they can find.  In fact, if you search black metal on the recent year charts and only filter in studio albums, you'll occasionally get 25 pages of albums.  What's 25 times 40?

We're getting at least 1,000 new black metal albums every year.  That feels... obsessive.

Quoted Rexorcist

Imagine being someone that has to add all of those 1000 black metal albums to a website. You'd have to be crazy right?! :wink:

August 12, 2022 09:46 PM

Quoted Rexorcist

Imagine being someone that has to add all of those 1000 black metal albums to a website. You'd have to be crazy right?! :wink:

Quoted Ben

Thankfully there's enough metalheads there that they probably only have to add one each.

August 12, 2022 10:13 PM

I think Ben's point is that he adds every release to Metal Academy himself.

August 12, 2022 10:15 PM

I think Ben's point is that he adds every release to Metal Academy himself.

Quoted Daniel

... I did not know that.  Lemme know when you get a second guy on board so I can bug someone else about all my favorite indie bands. :P