The Metal Academy mission

September 01, 2023 09:39 PM

I'm not sure how you're suggesting that we're biased here Rex. Trance Metal was removed from the database because it was deemed to not be a legitimate metal genre. This was because, after doing some fairly in-depth research, I discovered that most of the releases sound nothing alike & draw upon a wide array of alternative genres for their base sounds with the only common element being that they utilize trancey synthesizers to some extent. All of the releases were added to move suitable genres though so they're all still here & fall under the same clan rules as any every other release which protects them from trolling.

September 01, 2023 10:01 PM

I'm not sure how you're suggesting that we're biased here Rex. Trance Metal was removed from the database because it was deemed to not be a legitimate metal genre. This was because, after doing some fairly in-depth research, I discovered that most of the releases sound nothing alike & draw upon a wide array of alternative genres for their base sounds with the only common element being that they utilize trancey synthesizers to some extent. All of the releases were added to move suitable genres though so they're all still here & fall under the same clan rules as any every other release which protects them from trolling.

Quoted Daniel

I never said you ARE biased.  I'm just asking what would be said towards people who may think so, illustrating the possibility that it weould happen considering that as we grow, we may end up getting a few trance metal fans ourselves.  This feels like the kind of thing that might end up being brought back up every few months if we get big enough, like certain threads on RYM inevitably due, or like a "Is Converge punk or metal" topic.  Must be a lot of those on Metallum.  You know how metal fans can be.

On top of that, as it probably should be the case, there may be discussions as to what actually qualifies as a "trance metal" album.  Having said that, the specific discussion feels more appropriate for RYM, as they need it because the "trance metal charts" look like a mess, especially now that "electronicore" and "kawaii metal" were taken seriously enough for RYM to include a couple weeks ago. :P

September 01, 2023 10:28 PM

I would simply direct those people to the Trance Metal deep dive thread where they can get a clear understanding of our reasoning. I was completely transparent & provided detailed explanations of my position on each of the releases I investigated as a part of each of the deep dives I've conducted. I also encouraged others to provide their opinions in the interest of an unbiased process. That being said though, if a large portion of our audience decided that they disagreed with our approach then we're certainly open to reviewing it but please bare in mind that whatever position results will need to be in line with our clan configuration (which Trance Metal wasn't just quietly).

September 01, 2023 11:03 PM

I would simply direct those people to the Trance Metal deep dive thread where they can get a clear understanding of our reasoning. I was completely transparent & provided detailed explanations of my position on each of the releases I investigated as a part of each of the deep dives I've conducted. I also encouraged others to provide their opinions in the interest of an unbiased process. That being said though, if a large portion of our audience decided that they disagreed with our approach then we're certainly open to reviewing it but please bare in mind that whatever position results will need to be in line with our clan configuration (which Trance Metal wasn't just quietly).

Quoted Daniel

I think you might need to rearrange the grammar of that last sentence, but directing them to that thread feels like the best way to go.  Whatever albums you reviewed there will likely be open for those discussions.

September 02, 2023 08:52 PM

Looking at this new "Kawaii Metal" genre on RYM just now, it would seem that it's been created in order to draw together the j-pop/metal hybrid that's come about off the back of the BABYMETAL phenomenon. At this stage there's only three artists (including BABYMETAL) with releases with over 100 ratings that fall into that category & of those three I'd suggest that Candye♡Syrup's "iDOL Can Dye Sick Rock!!" isn't actually a metal record (it's a trancecore/electronicore release for mine) so I'd have to suggest that the justification for a new genre is flimsy at best.

It just looks like they've changed the name of the Trancecore subgenre to Electronicore.

September 03, 2023 12:05 AM

Oh, it's a chance.  I know very little about Trancecore, too, but that feels like a more accurate title from what little I've heard (Attack Attack and the first end theme of Hunter X Hunter).

September 03, 2023 12:23 AM

Yeah, I think it's a little more accurate personally but would throw Nintendocore in under the Electronicore banner too if I was them as it's simply too specific.

September 03, 2023 12:27 AM

Yeah, I think it's a little more accurate personally but would throw Nintendocore in under the Electronicore banner too if I was them as it's simply too specific.

Quoted Daniel

I think nintendocore used to be under trancecore but they removed it a couple years ago.