What if non-metal genres could be included in the current clans?

First Post December 15, 2021 07:14 AM

(Note: I'm not suggesting this obviously, it's just a hypothetical)

If non-metal genres could also be included under one of the banners of the 9 clans, what genres do you think would work well within them? I'm going to start with one that I think is somewhat obvious: Dark folk for The North. There's tons of overlap in aesthetic, and many bands merge black metal and dark folk already. I'd also consider slowcore for The Fallen, but that could just be me listening to too much 40 Watt Sun.

What non-metal genres do you guys think could be a good fit in a world where the clans extended past metal?

December 15, 2021 09:02 AM

Welcome to Metal Academy, Scarecrow!

Good question. It's quite tough judging which non-metal genres would hypothetically fit well in the Metal Academy clans, so here's what I could think of (* = obvious):

The Fallen: Sadcore, slowcore, emo (soft ballads such as Simple Plan's "How Could This Happen to Me?"), drone*, gothic rock*, stoner rock*

The Gateway: Pop, new-wave, grunge, alternative rock*, funk*, hip-hop*

The Guardians: Classical, orchestral, epic trailer music (such as Two Steps From Hell and Audiomachine)

The Horde: Deathrock, horror punk, horrorcore (hardcore hip-hop with horror themes)

The Infinite: Experimental, jazz, ambient, progressive rock*, post-rock*, avant-garde*

The North: Dungeon synth, dark folk, folk*, viking rock*

The Pit: Thrashcore, powerviolence

The Revolution: Protest songs, crust punk, electronic (since trance metal is already in that clan), hardcore punk*, melodic hardcore*, trance*

The Sphere: Industrial*, noise

December 15, 2021 10:42 AM

Powerviolence would definitely go into The Horde Andi. It's got very close ties to grindcore.

Trance would definitely go in The Guardians too. It's essentially the symphonic power metal of electronic dance music.

Electronic would go under The Gateway as it's usually a hybrid when used as a term in its own right.

Here's some of my own thoughts:

Trip Hop would go under The Gateway.

Techno would go into The Sphere.

Hard Techno (i.e. Schranz) & Hard Trance would go under the Horde.

Ambient would go under The Infinite.

Dark Ambient would go under The North.

Progressive House, Progressive Trance & Psytrance would go under The Infinite.

Psychedelic Rock would be a dual clan entry under The Fallen & The Infinite.

Heavy Psych would go under The Fallen.

Electro would go under The Gateway.

December 15, 2021 01:56 PM

Dark Folk is definitely one of the biggest ones, I remember finding out about Wardruna earlier this year and constantly checking back to see if the album was added here to rate it even though it's not Metal. Seems like every Atmospheric Black Metal project with any sort of slight folk leaning has something that sounds like that. 

Stuff like the Breakcore and Speedcore that's so popular in rhythm games could fit nicely in The Horde, to go along with Daniel's "Hard Techno", some of it can get pretty abrasive. 

Something like Shoegaze would probably just go in the Infinite, since normal Shoegaze fits more into Post-Metal than the Blackgaze variant. 

Kind of hard to place Darksynth now that I think about it, Sphere or Revolution? 

December 15, 2021 11:11 PM

Kind of hard to place Darksynth now that I think about it, Sphere or Revolution? 

Quoted Xephyr

Both as a dual clan entry.