Changes to the Melodic Metalcore genre

First Post June 12, 2022 09:11 PM

Please be aware that Melodic Metalcore is no longer a primary genre in the Metal Academy database. It's now a subgenre of the Metalcore genre. There's just some minor cleanup work remaining for our developer to do in order to remove the link to the old Melodic Metalcore genre from The Revolution clan page.

June 13, 2022 12:01 AM

I gotta say how both stunned and glad I am by this change. On the one hand, I was quite used to metalcore being used split into two genres with one of them reserved for the more melodic subgenres. On the other hand, throughout my time of listening to metalcore, I've always thought of melodic metalcore as a metalcore subgenre like the melodic death metal subgenre for death metal. Either way that I think, this approach seems like the right call for the future of metalcore in this site, and I applaud that move. However, of course that means the amount of primary genres in The Revolution has been reduced, and with that and the removal of the Nintendocore and Trancecore subgenres, I'm gonna have to re-assemble the subgenre ration for my Revolution playlists, but I won't judge. Now one more Revolution question remains, what would be the fate of trance metal? https://metal.academy/forum/14/thread/1097?page=1#topic_9334

June 13, 2022 12:16 AM

Ultimately it's always seemed silly to have Melodic Metalcore separated from Metalcore but the melodic branches of Black Metal & Death Metal wrapped under their umbrellas. I've wanted to change it for a long time now.

The Trance Metal topic is unresolved at this stage as far as I'm concerned but it's definitely still on our radar & will be receive attention at some point.

August 16, 2022 09:21 PM

Out of curiosity, what's MA's stance on trancecore?

August 16, 2022 09:53 PM

Trancecore was originally included & then removed after an investigation that found that the majority of releases weren't exactly metal or could fit just as comfortably under Melodic Metalcore.