October 2023 Feature Release - The Sphere Edition

First Post September 30, 2023 09:43 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Sphere has been nominated by myself. It's the 2014 reissue of Birmingham industrial metal legends Godflesh's 1989 "The Earache Peel Sessions" recordings, a four-track E.P. that I regard as one of the best kept secrets in all of metal. In fact, you can find it sitting in my Top 100 Metal Releases of All Time list just behind "Streetcleaner" which is really saying something. It'll only take seventeen minutes out of your life but I hope you get as much out of it as I do.

https://metal.academy/releases/36806

October 03, 2023 02:18 AM

Thanks so much for this, Daniel! Here's my review summary:

Looking for the best of Godflesh's breakthrough debut in a live recording originally part of a broadcast in which the audio version wasn't released until 25 years later? Look no further to the Earache Peel Sessions! This EP was part of a split album with Carcass whose side consisted of songs from their goregrind era. In Godflesh's side, 4 of my favorite tracks from their debut Streetcleaner (including the Tiny Tears EP) are performed greatly in industrial metal grace. Not to mention, destruction that can pulverize you into a pulp with the bass and drum machine rolling under the burning guitar slashing through vocals of hopeless fury. This is very well a true display of their earlier material, and it can certainly please Godflesh fans in the present as it did back in 1989. 17 minutes of perfect industrial metal bliss!

5/5