August 2023 Feature Release - The Sphere Edition

First Post July 31, 2023 08:10 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Sphere has been nominated by myself. It's 2021's impressive "Pantocrator" sixth album from French industrial sludge metallers Fange, a release that took out our 2021 The Sphere Clan Release of 2021 award but which only a few of us have checked out. It's an unheralded classic in my opinion so I think we need to remedy that quick-smart.

https://metal.academy/releases/27125

July 31, 2023 08:22 PM

I checked this out whilst we were going through the best albums of 2021 (wow, was it really that long ago, it seems like five minutes) and it really chimed with my taste. I even purchased a CD copy from Bandcamp. I'll just re-iterate my short review from at the time:

"For me the best kind of industrial music isn't totally alienating, but also has some humanity to it and I think Fange achieve that here with the sludge and death metal elements working in synergy with the industrial. The hot-blooded passion of the sludge metal vocals provide a searing counterpoint to the coldness of the machine-like death metal riffs. These death industrial riffs are also overlaid with atmospheric sludge lead work that once more lends it a more human face and the layers help to build an interesting atmosphere that speaks of resistance to the inevitable that is yet tinged with a fatalistic futility, anger and self-loathing.

This all makes for an album that is extremely heavy and confrontational and may not be to every industrial fans taste - this isn't Rammstein or Fear Factory, there are no melodic hooks to hang on to, in fact it has quite a negative atmosphere derived from it's sludge metal roots. It is quite short though, comprising just two 15 minute tracks and this definitely works in it's favour as it doesn't allow time to become jaded with the relentless pessimism and crushing heaviness of it's riffing. All in all this has got to be one of my favourite industrial releases of recent years so if you like industrial metal with a bit of sullen intensity then I would strongly recommend Pantocrator. "

August 04, 2023 10:26 PM

This is what I wrote about this album at the time:

Where the fuck did this short thirty minute gem of an album come from?! I think I might just have found my new AOTY right here. Imagine the super dark & crushingly heavy sludge metal of Primitive Man combined with the mechanical industrial beats of Godflesh & the cold production of Uniform & you won't be far off the mark. Throw in some death metal riffs too just to stroke my comfort zone a bit more too. I just fucking love this shit!

4.5/5