December 2022 Feature Release - The Sphere Edition

First Post December 01, 2022 12:19 AM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Sphere, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is the 2003 debut album from Danish industrial/groove metal band Mnemic, Mechanical Spin Phenomena. With this blend of modern metal influences in a sound they call "Future Fusion Metal", this album is a great, though not entirely the best, start of their 5-album career, recommended for anyone in this site who wants to begin their dive into that band's material.

https://metal.academy/releases/5726

December 04, 2022 11:24 PM

I did my review, here's its summary:

Mnemic has touched the hearts of modern metalheads, even after their split. The remaining founding member, guitarist Mircea Gabriel Eftemie was a master of polyrhythms, and his clear riffing and melodies that stay together when the mechanical bass and drums are what kept the band in place until things changed. He caused progressiveness from the guitar to switch out of what you hear from Opeth into a hint at a new djenty chapter... Their debut Mechanical Spin Phenomena is a solid start of the band futuristic industrial/groove metal journey, though it wouldn't be perfected until The Audio Injected Soul. This storm of modern sounds is something that has changed part of the course of metal in the 2000s. There's a lot of the mechanical Meshuggah riff power and keyboards, plus some spacey ambience here and there, all in an almost entirely good metallic mix of brutal industrial attacks and melodic synth depths. If you're up for that, then crank up the volume....

4/5

Recommended tracks: "Liquid", "Db'xx'd", "The Naked And The Dead", "Mechanical Spin Phenomenon", "Zero Gravity"

For fans of: Fear Factory, Strapping Young Lad, Divine Heresy

December 05, 2022 12:15 PM

I really enjoyed this feature Andi. I'd heard a few Mnemic tracks through the monthly playlists over the years & generally recall enjoying them but this was the first full release I've checked out. Calling it industrial/groove metal doesn't really do the scope of this release justice in my opinion because there are also nu metal & djent components that are easily as significant as either of those tags yet none of the four seem appropriate as a primary tag in my opinion. I guess I'll leave it as it is given that I can't think of a better option.

The vocals are nice & aggressive, the production is chunky & heavy & the execution is bang on. The Fear Factory influence is obvious in the staccato riffs & the clean choruses which also hint at Strapping Young Lad. The Meshuggah influence in the djenty bits is beautifully done & generally matches up with the best parts. The simpler groove metal riffs reference Sepultura & Machine Head while the regular touches on nu metal reek of Korn & early Deftones. There are even some clear hints at White Zombie in the vocal delivery at times.

There are no weak tracks included in a very consistent tracklisting. I absolutely love "Tattoos" which is the clear highlight for mine. This is an underrated record & I very much concur with Andi's suggestion that it needs to be heard.

For fans of Fear Factory, Prong & Dagoba.

4/5