September 2022 Feature Release - The Sphere Edition

First Post August 31, 2022 07:36 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Sphere has been nominated by myself. It's the 1996 "HyBreed" third album from Norwegian post-industrial metallers Red Harvest. I absolutely loved their 2004 record "Internal Punishment Programs" when we featured it back in June 2021 & it's been on my radar to check this one out ever since. Enjoy!

https://metal.academy/releases/1716

September 04, 2022 06:43 AM

This is another really solid effort from these Norwegians who must be challenging The Amenta for the title of the most under-appreciated band in The Sphere. Unlike our previous Red Harvest feature release (2004's "Internal Punishment Programs"), "HyBreed" contains a significant Post-Metal influence on several of the more drawn-out tracks with Neurosis being the clear influence, particularly in the use of tribal drumming & repetition with long build-ups & crescendos. There are also a couple of 10+ minute ambient pieces included which are both of a high quality & break the tracklisting up nicely. We even get a fantastically doomy Gothic Metal song in the wonderful "On Sacred Ground" which draws upon Type O Negative & Tiamat for inspiration. There isn't a single track included that's not of a very high quality & there's more than enough variation to justify the very long 78 minutes run time. I've gotta ask the question, what the fuck have these guys done wrong because they should be comfortably sitting alongside the big names of the Industrial Metal tree.

For fans of Godflesh, Yerûšelem & Kill The Thrill.

4/5

May 29, 2023 10:45 PM

So I decided to listen to and review this album as I continue to expand my industrial metal horizons, and it's one of the very best I've heard from the genre and post-sludge! I also realized that this was an earlier Sphere feature release, and boy do I regret not checking out earlier when the feature release was still hot. Here's my review summary:

Some say going chronological when checking out a band's discography is one of the weaker methods because the earlier material before the famous era is often highly different. They may be correct, but HyBreed ended up being an exception to that rule. A newfound perfect favorite of mine as my industrial metal collection grows! HyBreed shows that the band is no longer as speedy as they were in their debut album and part of their second album. The album is slow in a lot of songs, and the tempo stays the same in even the long 10-minute epics, and there's never anything bad about that at all! Despite being a bit repetitive, that's the kind of repetition that appeals to me. They can just focus on one riff and one drum pattern and yet stay interesting. And even the two short fast tracks and two lengthy ambient tracks can have a great kick out of them. I know some people might not like it due to its heavy repetition and lengthiness and think this could cause a dent in the genre. However, this album has the motherload of many things that solidify the melody and dark ambience of industrial metal/post-sludge. The simply structured songs can keep you hooked until the end. Any fan of Red Harvest and industrial metal should get it, and if you want to appreciate it as much as I do, it just takes patience!

5/5