April 2022 "The Sphere" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post April 01, 2022 10:12 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/45Xj4PCyW3LavsE8NMtncN?si=73d833c701054d9a

Tracklisting:

01. Code Orange – “(deeperthanbefore)” (from “Underneath”, 2020)

02. Samael – “For A Thousand Years” (from “Lux Mundi”, 2011)

03. Neurotech – “Awaiting Deception” (from “Antagonist”, 2011)

04. Unheilig – “Für immer” (from “Grosse Freiheit”, 2010)

05. Kong – “Horse L.” (from “Phlegm”, 1992)

06. Eisbrecher – “Die Engel” (from “Eiszeit”, 2010)

07. Pitchshifter – “Wafer Thin” (from “Deviant”, 2000)

08. Killing Joke – “Invocation” (from “Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell”, 2006) [Submitted by Vinny]

09. Author & Punisher – “Misery” (from “Krüller”, 2022)

10. Ministry – “Never Believe” (from “The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste”, 1989)

11. Lard – “Pineapple Face” (from “The Last Temptation Of Reid”, 1990)

12. Crisis Sigil – “Shape.” (from “Small Towns.”, 2020)

13. In This Moment – “Fly Like An Eagle” (from “Mother”, 2020)

14. Nine Inch Nails – “Gave Up” (from “Broken” E.P., 1992) [Submitted by Daniel]

15. Apartment 26 – “Slicedbeats” (from “Hallucinating”, 2000)

16. Static-X – “This Is Not” (from “Machine”, 2001)

17. Godflesh – “Spinebender” (from “Godflesh” E.P., 1988)

18. Scorn – “Lick Forever Dog” (from “Vae Solis”, 1992)

19. Ghostemane – “Intro.Destitute” (from “ANTI-ICON”, 2020)

20. Morbid Angel – “Destructos vs. the Earth / Attack” (from “Illud Divinum Insanus”, 2011)

21. Skrew – “Charlemagne” (from “Burning In Water, Drowning In Flame”, 1992)

22. Mechina – “The Embers Of Old Earth” (from “Venator”, 2022)

23. Rammstein – “Feuer frei!” (from “Mutter”, 2001)

24. Old – “Disassemble” (from “Lo Flux Tube”, 1991)

25. Napalm Death – “Narcissus” (from “Resentment Is Always Seismic - A Final Throw of Throes” E.P., 2022)

26. Red Harvest – “Death In Cyborg Era” (from “Cold Dark Matter”, 2000)

27. Fear Factory – “Fear Campaign” (from “Mechanize”, 2010)

April 10, 2022 07:12 AM

I decided to dive into part of the Sphere playlist because of this month's Sphere feature release that I enjoy (Godflesh's Merciless EP) and it felt like a good time to test out my industrial metal interest. So here are my track thoughts:

Code Orange – “(deeperthanbefore)” (from “Underneath”, 2020)

5/5. The perfect way to start the playlist, and a suitable electronic intro for how deep the band is gonna get in diversity.

Samael – “For A Thousand Years” (from “Lux Mundi”, 2011)

4.5/5. Great song from the venomously good song, so heavy and dark! The symphonic-industrial keyboards are what their recent albums apart from the band's earlier black metal era that ended with the Rebellion EP.

Neurotech – “Awaiting Deception” (from “Antagonist”, 2011)

4/5. The ambient guitar adds darkness to this song's chorus. A great song to love for anyone into cyber/industrial metal. It even works well when listening in the rain. However, I might downvote this from perfection.

Unheilig – “Für immer” (from “Grosse Freiheit”, 2010)

3.5/5. For this song, the beat is good along with the vocals, but I can't really understand the German lyrics, that's the problem I have with Neue Deutsche Härte. Actually is it that genre? Sounds closer to the gothic pop rock of HIM that I got bored of.

Kong – “Horse L.” (from “Phlegm”, 1992)

3/5. An early instrumental industrial metal/rock track, but Godflesh this is not. Next!

Eisbrecher – “Die Engel” (from “Eiszeit”, 2010)

3.5/5. More of this Neue Deutsche Härte! Once again I can't understand the German lyrics, but the instrumentation and vocals sound good.

Pitchshifter – “Wafer Thin” (from “Deviant”, 2000)

4/5. An interesting twist in the playlist's sound so far, shifting to a nu/alt-metal approach while staying industrial. Absolute f***ing intense anger in this tune! This could bring back memories for anyone involved in the alt-metal millennium turn, reminding some of Therapy? at that time. After Pitchshifter's first split, two of the members formed a temporary alt-metalcore side-project This is Menace. I thought this nu/alt-ish industrial metal sound was menacing enough.

Killing Joke – “Invocation” (from “Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell”, 2006)

3.5/5. The music and lyrics sound f***ing supernatural here. I definitely like the beat. This was Paul Raven's last album with the band before his passing the next year, RIP. There's some ominous cello to go along with the strings. It would've been cooler if the beat was more synchronized, but it's still OK.

Author & Punisher – “Misery” (from “Krüller”, 2022)

3/5. A little out of my league, especially after having moved out of the droning doom misery. Moving on...

Ministry – “Never Believe” (from “The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste”, 1989)

3.5/5. Here is another industrial machine, this time Chris Connelly on lead vocals for deranged ambient assembly. Not absolutely the best, but this is still worth headbanging until your head falls off!

Lard – “Pineapple Face” (from “The Last Temptation Of Reid”, 1990)

4/5. Jello Biafra is one of strangest vocalists in metal, giving this song some strong potential.

Crisis Sigil – “Shape.” (from “Small Towns.”, 2020)

4.5/5. Much better shape, but I'm a little concerned about if any of their other songs would be like this which would tire me out fast.

In This Moment – “Fly Like An Eagle” (from “Mother”, 2020)

5/5. Now we're talking! This band took a 70s rock song and covered it to make it dark and beautiful. Maria Brink's vocal power is incredible! If I had started on my metalhead journey in my earlier alt-rock/metal days before DragonForce set my direction, I would've certainly listened to In This Moment more. The intro itself is almost a cover of the Terminator theme. I f***ing love it!

Nine Inch Nails – “Gave Up” (from “Broken” E.P., 1992)

4.5/5. Well if I were to level up my industrial metal interest via the alt-metal bands, they would have to actually be a metal band. Broken is the most metal EP for this mainly industrial rock band. This is probably the best song I would enjoy from NIN. The last third of the song would really make you go Hulk-smashing or some sh*t. It is quite a gamble to test out a good amount of industrial metal bands and see which one would be right for me. Some would just be f***ing over-the-top nonsense while others sound decently well. I don't know what other feelings I have here. Play it one of the more action-oriented Star Trek movie scenes and see if it makes things sound better.

Apartment 26 – “Slicedbeats” (from “Hallucinating”, 2000)

4/5. This is not the greatest, but still decently f***ing killer industrial alt-metal sh*t.

Static-X – “This Is Not” (from “Machine”, 2001)

4.5/5. THIS IS NOT my type. I don't hate this, but it's better off as a recommendation for my recent Discord friend. RIP Wayne Static...

Godflesh – “Spinebender” (from “Godflesh” E.P., 1988)

5/5. This one focuses on creative beats and dissonance that might bring discomfort to anyone including classic metalheads. It's a great song to stop my commenting while the quality is still on top in case it goes downhill, so see you later, Sphere controllers!