February 2022 Feature Release – The Sphere Edition

First Post January 31, 2022 08:10 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Sphere has been nominated by yours truly. It's the highly regarded 2001 "Soundtrack for the Revolution" third album from groundbreaking Washington outfit The Shizit. I don't believe I've had the pleasure of experiencing The Shizit as yet but I'm intrigued by the descriptions of their sound which apparently draws together hardcore punk, industrial metal & electronic music in an unusual & creative take on the sound we usually hear from The Sphere. Have I captured your attention yet? Perhaps not but I'm planning on diving into this release head first & I hope you'll all come along for the ride.

https://metal.academy/releases/29634

February 08, 2022 08:31 PM

So this release is every bit as unusual as it's descriptors would suggest. On RYM it's tagged as digital hardcore, industrial metal & industrial rock primaries with nu metal & jungle secondaries. Now I don't know much about digital hardcore but the only thing hardcore here (at least in the punk sense) is the aggressive vocal delivery which would fit seamlessly on a metalcore release from our The Revolution clan. There's no punk in the instrumentation whatsoever & I have a real problem with genre-tagging being reliant on just the vocal style. The other tags are very accurate with the exeption of industrial rock which isn't really required here. The guitar work here is heavily distorted with rhythms that often remind me of bands like Ministry or Fear Factory however the beats that surround it are heavily influenced by jungle/drum 'n' bass as well as pounding up-tempo hard techno & gabba. The inclusion of some nu metal style rapping isn't very well received by this metalhead unfortunately but you only see that very occasionally. The Shizit certainly make an almighty racket but ironically the moments that I enjoy most are when they embrace their more atmospheric electronic side with beautiful Moby style synths presenting a tranquil outlook before the savagery returns. There's no doubt that this is an interesting & original work but does it all work? In a word no it doesn't but the failures are easily outweighed by the wins & I left the experience with a largely positive feeling.

3.5/5