November 2023 "The Revolution" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post November 01, 2023 12:52 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1yFgscg5HWKGoIy2s0xRfG

Tracklisting:

1. XavlegbmaofffassssitimiwoamndutroabcwapwaeiippohfffX - "Bone Saw" from Gore E.P. (2016) [submitted by Daniel]

2. Lorna Shore - "Welcome Back, O' Sleeping Dreamer" from Pain Remains (2022) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

3. Mental Cruelty - "Obsessis a Daemonio" from Zwielicht (2023)

4. Gravemind - "Deadspace" from The Deathgate (2017)

5. The Browning - "Poison" from Poison (2023) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

6. Dagames - "Die Die Die" from Die Die Die (2016)

7. Any Given Day - "Unbreakable" from Unbreakable (2023)

8. Parkway Drive - "Vice Grip" from Ire (2015)

9. Polaris - "Nightmare" from Fatalism (2023)

10. Amaranthe - "Viral" from Manifest (2020) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. Kingdom of Giants - "Burner" from Passenger (2020)

12. Sikth - "In This Light" from Death of a Dead Day (2006) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

13. Trivium - "Sickness Unto You" from What the Dead Men Say (2020)

14. All That Remains - "Dead Wrong" from For We Are Many (2010)

15. Left to Suffer - "Consistent Suffering" from Feral (2023)

16. Demon Hunter - "The End" from Outlive (2017) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

17. Every Time I Die - "Revival Mode" from Ex Lives (2012) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

18. Of Mice & Men - "Purified" from The Flood (2011)

19. Invent Animate - "Naturehold" from Everchanger (2014)

20. Termina - "Blood Echo" from Dysphoria (2021)

21. Rising Insane - "Demons" from Demons (2023)

22. Annisokay - "Monstercrazy" from The Lucid Dream (Er) (2012)

23. Hollow Front - "Letting Go" from Letting Go (2023)

24. Heart of a Coward - "Around a Girl (in 80 Days)" from Hope and Hindrance (2012)

25. Johnny Booth - "Follower" from Firsthand Accounts (2019)

26. Knut - "Shine" from Leftovers (1997) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

27. The Dillinger Escape Plan - "The Running Board" from Calculating Infinity (1999)

28. Converge - "Drop Out" from You Fail Me (2004)

29. Frontierer - "Tumoric" from Unoxidized (2018)

30. The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - "Sammy Jankis" from Danza 3: The Series of Unfortunate Events (2010)

31. Betraying the Martyrs - "THE VEIL" from GODSPEED (2023)

November 01, 2023 11:40 PM

Here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

XavlegbmaofffassssitimiwoamndutroabcwapwaeiippohfffX - "Bone Saw" from Gore E.P. (2016)

4.5/5. Behold, "Bone Saw". The opening track of my first Revolution playlist after my 3-month break. Interesting track submission, Daniel! From around the 45-second mark comes a funky groove for a brutal deathcore song that can work well for a zombie slasher film. And holy sh*t, what a f***ing groovy solo for a grind-ish deathcore track! Seems like they invented a new subgenre that they call "groove to the flesh grind". Stay classy, grinding gentlemen, those are some disgustingly silly lyrics that can still be enjoyed. Also even though I don't usually put the deathcore section into the beginning of a playlist, I thought it would work well as a heavy brutal comeback for me in working on the playlists, including that Xavleg submission. If you can't handle that much deathly chaos, maybe skip to track 6 or 7 and start there.

Lorna Shore - "Welcome Back, O' Sleeping Dreamer" from Pain Remains (2022)

5/5. I was originally planning on this epic track being the one to start the playlist before that Xavleg submission came in. It begins with an ominous intro, where symphonic orchestra rises as if you were expecting Two Steps From Hell. Then at the top, the band strikes in a devastating touchdown, as the guitarists conjuring a searing riff storm raining down on you. A brutal breakdown chops you down to size, then sharp riffing once again decimates you while fitting well with the brilliant cinematics.

Mental Cruelty - "Obsessis a Daemonio" from Zwielicht (2023)

4.5/5. Some might think of this total blaster as Dimmu Borgir on steroids. At over the 3 and a half minute mark, Lukas attempts some clean power metal-like singing like some of the male guest vocalists of Avantasia.

Gravemind - "Deadspace" from The Deathgate (2017)

4/5. A killer brief transition from one part of the deathcore section to another.

The Browning - "Poison" from Poison (2023)

4.5/5. As I listen to this raging new single by The Browning at night (as of this comment), I feel like f***ing kicking a hole in the wall next to me during the brutal breakdown. Fortunately, I've never done that.

Dagames - "Die Die Die" from Die Die Die (2016)

4/5. See, this is the kind of music that I've been interested throughout my early 20s, solid deathly melodic metalcore. This time, another song from the masters of making metalcore tunes based on video games "Can you feel the edge?! (DIE DIE DIE!!!)"

Any Given Day - "Unbreakable" from Unbreakable (2023)

4.5/5. One h*ll of a headbanging anthem for the live crowd! With heavy beauty and powerful lyrics, lots more attention is what this band really needs.

Parkway Drive - "Vice Grip" from Ire (2015)

5/5. This is a much stronger metalcore song than most of its original album, and it's an excellent choice for the album's lead single; a catchy anthem about perseverance rebelling against opposition.

Polaris - "Nightmare" from Fatalism (2023)

5/5. The ultimate Polaris anthem! An easy metalcore banger with all of their signature aspects; screamed verses, melodic choruses, heavy riffs, and powerful vocals, all leading up to the mighty end. This is full-on rage you just gotta experience!

Amaranthe - "Viral" from Manifest (2020)

3.5/5. This one is a little off because of the gigantic hooks being cheesy, but they're swept away by the triple-vocal attack and crushing metal.

Kingdom of Giants - "Burner" from Passenger (2020)

4/5. Although I've only given this track 4 stars, its original album should've had more fame, especially when they had Courtney LaPlante of Spiritbox in a different song.

Sikth - "In This Light" from Death of a Dead Day (2006)

4.5/5. Beautiful song filled with emotional lyrics and a f***ing irresistible solo. This can easily work well as part of the Fallout soundtrack. Somehow I think of this song as The Contortionist gone Sum 41.

Trivium - "Sickness Unto You" from What the Dead Men Say (2020)

5/5. This highlight has a darker mood and breaks through technical limits with an extreme storm of riffs and drums possessing your body. Who needs MTV?! You got this song that's far more fun than any of those lame pop music videos!

All That Remains - "Dead Wrong" from For We Are Many (2010)

4.5/5. This one makes another backward turn through history with some melodeath: Fast pummeling drumming, sawing guitar leads, deep resonant bass, and evil sounding death growls. Dissonant yet pleasing! At least there's some clean signing to fit well with the howling and growling.

Left to Suffer - "Consistent Suffering" from Feral (2023)

4/5. Feral deathly metalcore right here! At over the one and a half minute mark is an unreal blend of sped up trap with the usual growled vocals. It's so crazy how much eerie brutality and clean melody can be found put together. H*ll, those lyrics may seem sad, but the vocals make them sound mad.

Demon Hunter - "The End" from Outlive (2017)

3.5/5. While this track sounds metal in the verse and breakdown, the rest of that song just sounds like straightforward rock. Still a nice way to break the flow a little bit.

Every Time I Die - "Revival Mode" from Ex Lives (2012)

4/5. "There's only room on this rescue boat for butchers and bakers and men with hope! And will machine gunners please step forth?!" Holy sh*t, those lyrics towards the end are timeless, right before the last of the chorus that's also good, "Thanks Lord but I don't need anymore poor advice, poor advice." The solo by John Christ of Danzig during the aforementioned bridge is super cool!

Of Mice & Men - "Purified" from The Flood (2011)

4.5/5. Scr*w the haters who attack this album. The Flood is the best album by the band, and this is one of many great songs there.

Invent Animate - "Naturehold" from Everchanger (2014)

5/5. Another golden highlight! ERRA clean vocalist Jesse Cash adds pure beauty to this Invent Animate track.

Termina - "Blood Echo" from Dysphoria (2021)

4.5/5. My favorite part of this track is the clean singing at the one and a half minute mark. And the rest of the song is so insane!

Rising Insane - "Demons" from Demons (2023)

4/5. And speaking of insane, it's crazy how this band can add a lot of texture to the modern metalcore template for something so beautiful and brutal. Great lyrics too! There's so much in this killer banger you just can't miss. Raising your hammer of fire high against those demons! It's just so great. The screams and higher cleans are some good sh*t there with a similar vibe to Architects vocalist Sam Carter. There's also the wildness of the newer albums by Northlane. A bit generic and overdone in the execution of the vocal melodies, but standing high all the same.

Annisokay - "Monstercrazy" from The Lucid Dream (Er) (2012)

3.5/5. Pretty good, though not really the best I've heard from this band. However, the quality increases throughout the last minute.

Hollow Front - "Letting Go" from Letting Go (2023)

4/5. A more well-made modern metalcore track. Moving on...

Heart of a Coward - "Around a Girl (in 80 Days)" from Hope and Hindrance (2012)

4.5/5. Better riffing and raw vocals, all in heavy instrumentation, plus some clean vocal emotion. F***ing sh*t-loads of destruction!

Johnny Booth - "Follower" from Firsthand Accounts (2019)

4/5. Solid blend of beauty and chaotic energy right here! This might reminds some of the band Beloved. And G****MN, the final third of this song is so awesomely brutal, ending with perhaps one of the most destructive breakdowns I've heard in metalcore.

Knut - "Shine" from Leftovers (1997)

4.5/5. Another song to love from this band. RIP Didier Séverin

The Dillinger Escape Plan - "The Running Board" from Calculating Infinity (1999)

5/5. This mathcore standout probably works better in the Under the Running Board EP. After a chaotic minute, the song switches to a western noir theme that escalates into some more jazz fusion. Still there's no denying that the song is a hardcore anthem for metalheads.

Converge - "Drop Out" from You Fail Me (2004)

5/5. Continuing the hardcore metal insanity, guitarist Kurt Ballou shows his versatile talent with an incredible ending riff.

Frontierer - "Tumoric" from Unoxidized (2018)

4.5/5. A f***ing mathcore gamechanger of intense destruction! This shall make up for the loss of The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza. And speaking of that band...

The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - "Sammy Jankis" from Danza 3: The Series of Unfortunate Events (2010)

4.5/5. Holy h*ll, this is amazing furious djenty mathcore sh*t with Joshua Travis on guitars. Nothing but the sweet sound of f***ing crushing chaos! Especially in the final minute with the most of the djent. Remember Sammy Jankis!

Betraying the Martyrs - "THE VEIL" from GODSPEED (2023)

5/5. There's no better way to end this playlist than with a farewell song from this incredible symphonic metalcore band. It was shocking hearing about the breakup of this band that I've listened to 5 years, but I hope the members go on with their future projects. This is a total masterpiece of a banger! Thank you for everything, BTM....

Pretty good playlist I've made, huh? Despite some bumpiness in a couple places. Anyway, I recommend this to any metalcore fan and anyone who isn't into metalcore but is up to getting into a great start for the genre. Thanks Daniel for accepting this and your help with your submission, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!