October 2023 Feature Release - The Revolution Edition

First Post October 01, 2023 02:07 AM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Revolution, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is the brand new 3rd album by Sydney-based Australian metalcore band Polaris, Fatalism. It is their final album with guitarist Ryan Siew who passed away in June at age 26. The album has reached #1 in the Australian Album Charts, which is a nice honor for this fallen guitarist and his posthumous recordings. And why not spread more word about this amazing album here in this site? Polaris' Fatalism is something I would recommend to any fan of modern metalcore and is worth hearing Ryan Siew's final contributions to the band. RIP

https://metal.academy/releases/47261

October 03, 2023 01:26 AM

I've done my review, here's its summary:

After the perfect one-two punch of The Mortal Coil and The Death of Me, the band continue progressing through their exciting creativity in Fatalism. Hearing the news about this album got my hopes up high. But then the news about guitarist Ryan Siew's passing was heartbreaking. He was one of the most talented modern metal guitarists I had heard, and he was only 26. He had already complete his work before his death, so this album lets you hear his guitar wizardry one last time... His searing leads have made a solid connection with the ravaging rhythms of Rick Schneider, the drumming action of Daniel Furnari, the booming bass and sweet cleans of Jake Steinhauser, and the raging screams of Jamie Hails. Yes, many songs have the usual screamed verses, melodic choruses, heavy riffs, and powerful vocals, along with devastating breakdowns and colorful solos. Fatalism is a different album from their earlier ones, yet there's a lot of the greatness to expect. Polaris continue to shine with their songwriting creativity that has made this album stay true to their discography. With lots of well-balanced highlights and professional teamwork, this blend of melody and brutality levels up the stories told within the lyrics shall keep listeners alert and wanting more. There's no doubt that Fatalism will please Polaris with this exciting heartful work. RIP Ryan Siew

4.5/5

Recommended tracks: "Harbinger", "Nightmare", "With Regards", "Inhumane", "Dissipate", "Fault Line"

For fans of: Northlane, Silent Planet, While She Sleeps

October 12, 2023 05:27 PM

Not a fan of this to be quite frank. There are some decent moments throughout Fatalism, but they come few and far between. The bands more alternative metal and quasi post-metal tunes are a nice touch around the very standard, unoriginal metalcore breakdowns. Songs like "Harbinger" and "Aftertouch" feel like an advancement of a predictable sound and I wish the rest of the record did the same. The untimely passing of Polaris' guitarist, Ryan Siew does not actually make a large impact in this albums release as it was basically complete and ready to ship out the door before the sad news. I'm sure for the band themselves, Fatalism is a heartfelt goodbye to a great friend, but all I hear is a mostly unoriginal metalcore album. 

2.5/5