August 2022 "The Revolution" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post August 01, 2022 12:00 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1yFgscg5HWKGoIy2s0xRfG

Tracklisting:

1. Integrity - "Those Who Fear Tomorrow" from Those Who Fear Tomorrow (1991)

2. Avenged Sevenfold - "Unholy Confessions" from Waking the Fallen (2003)

3. Black Veil Brides - "Knives and Pens" from We Stitch the Wounds (2010)

4. Asking Alexandria - "Not the American Average" from Stand Up and Scream (2009) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

5. Iwrestledabearonce - "Corey Feldman Holocaust" from Iwrestledabearonce (2007)

6. The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - "Paul Bunyan and the Blue Ox" from Danza 4: The Alpha - the Omega (2012)

7. Rorschach - "In the Year of Our Lord" from Remain Sedate (1990)

8. Trivium - "Ember to Inferno" from Ember to Inferno (2003)

9. Premonitions of War - "Time for Iron" from Premonitions of War (2000)

10. Born of Osiris - "Rosecrance" from The New Reign (2007) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. Converge - "Eagles Become Vultures" from You Fail Me (2004) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

12. Earth Crisis - "Firestorm/Forged in the Flames" from Firestorm (1993) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

13. Snapcase - "Killing Yourself To Live" from Progression Through Unlearning (1997) [submitted by Daniel]

14. Deadguy - "Free Mustache Rides" from Screamin' with the Deadguy Quintet (1996)

15. Deformity - "The Dark Sun" from Murder Within Sin (1999)

16. Crawlspace - "Enter the Realm of Chaos" from Enter the Realm of Chaos (2001)

17. God Forbid - "Chains of Humanity" from IV: Constitution of Treason (2005) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

18. Underoath - "The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed" from Lost in the Sound of Separation (2008) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

19. Electric Callboy - "We Got the Moves" from We Got the Moves (2021)

20. Memphis May Fire - "Wanting More" from This Light I Hold (2016)

21. Upon a Burning Body - "Snake Eyes" from A New Responsibility (2022)

22. In Hearts Wake - "Warcry" from Ark (2017)

23. Northlane - "Citizen" from Mesmer (2017)

24. Down & Dirty - "Heaven Sent" from Heaven Sent (2017)

25. Kingdom of Giants - "Wayfinder" from Passenger (2020)

26. Sienna Skies - "Misunderstood" from A Darker Shade of Truth (2016)

27. Wage War - "If Tomorrow Never Comes" from Manic (2021)

28. Betraying the Martyrs - "Swan Song" from Silver Lining (2022)

29. Shadow of Intent - "The Dreaded Mystic Abyss" from Melancholy (2020)

30. Every Time I Die - "We Go Together" from Radical (2021) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

August 01, 2022 11:47 PM

Once again, I continue to shine more of the spotlight on tracks from the 90s and early 2000s, since my earlier playlists barely have any songs from those eras like one or two per playlist. Of course, I've also added some new tracks from the 2020s, and the in-betweens of the mid-late 2000s and 2010s. I might bring back the spotlight on the new tracks in later playlists once I switch my focus out of those older tracks. After all, brand-new tracks are an essential part of playlists, right? Anyway, I like the way this all turned out, so here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Integrity - "Those Who Fear Tomorrow" from Those Who Fear Tomorrow (1991)

4/5. Dwid Hellion makes an unforgettable shout of "MICHA!!!" that kick-starts this track and playlist, similar to the "NIGHTFALL!!!" scream that begins Dark Tranquillity's debut Skydancer. This was an important part of 90s hardcore, already signifying the metalcore vision of Earth Crisis and Hatebreed, even Killswitch Engage.

Avenged Sevenfold - "Unholy Confessions" from Waking the Fallen (2003)

4.5/5. The real melodic metalcore action begins with this recognizable track, a perfect embodiment of 2003 A7X!! The distinct hammering guitar intro is decently familiar in the metalcore realm, along with the power slides and other varieties in the mix. The tight drumming is so awesome and inspiring. No one can do it like the late Rev! (RIP) The bass patterns are tricky to hear but you can still feel them. The vocals are more enjoyable in the diverse sense than in any other part of the band's discography, alternating between screaming and clean singing. I also enjoy the catchy chorus and harmonies. I'll never argue with the fact that "Unholy Confessions" is the band's breakthrough hit!

Black Veil Brides - "Knives and Pens" from We Stitch the Wounds (2010)

5/5. I found this song that has similar riffing to that Avenged Sevenfold song, and that actually beats that one! I'm starting to love this band already and might support them directly as well, despite dumping those metalcore/emo (man, I hate that latter word) roots. SO AWESOME!!!

Asking Alexandria - "Not the American Average" from Stand Up and Scream (2009)

5/5. One more awesome song to follow the "Unholy Confessions"-like riffing chain, despite the somewhat immature lyrics ("YOU STUPID! F***ING!! WH*RE!!!").

Iwrestledabearonce - "Corey Feldman Holocaust" from Iwrestledabearonce (2007)

4.5/5. Another awesome band who knows how to make a brutal breakdown after a blissful clean bridge. They have definitely surpassed August Burns Red in adding experimentation to metalcore while staying true to the genre. Holy sh*t, the lyrics are sick without having to understand! Part of the experimentation comes from comedic samples including, towards the end, the iconic Super Mario Bros. jingle and, shortly after, a line from Clerks, "Hey try not to suck any d*ck on the way to the parking lot."

The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - "Paul Bunyan and the Blue Ox" from Danza 4: The Alpha - the Omega (2012)

5/5. This is pure beauty! Probably the most insane mathcore swarm without vocals, that you can tap-dance to so hard that you can cause an earthquake on the streets. So much intricate elegance in perhaps my favorite song of this f***ing sick and killer album!

Rorschach - "In the Year of Our Lord" from Remain Sedate (1990)

4.5/5. The name of this track can easily refer to this year being the year of the creators of metalcore, Rorschach!

Trivium - "Ember to Inferno" from Ember to Inferno (2003)

5/5. Here they unleash their upbeat yet heavy metalcore guitar riffs, similar to Shadows Fall, that not only sound good but keep the listener going through the music, not just the lyrics, including its incredible lightning-fast solo.

Premonitions of War - "Time for Iron" from Premonitions of War (2000)

2.5/5. Wow, this sounds worse than I thought in Spotify! Why the f*** did I choose this?! Probably because it's under a minute long and I wanna get this sh*t out of here fast in my early metalcore subgenres tour.

Born of Osiris - "Rosecrance" from The New Reign (2007)

3.5/5. This is an unusual yet mind-blowing opening track. It is one of the oldest songs by the band to be re-recorded from an earlier demo, the first version being as early as 2004, when they were a post-hardcore/deathcore band called Your Heart Engraved. In the song, the keyboard doesn't appear until the end. There's a lot of sharp chugging in the guitars, made groove-sounding with the impressive vocals. After over the first half-minute is a lovable but annoying break that would confuse you until you listen to more of the riff-wrath and drumming.

Converge - "Eagles Become Vultures" from You Fail Me (2004)

5/5. Totally the best song in its original album! The intro drum fill sends you into the great hellfire of energetic riffs, insane drums, and vocals screaming scathing lyrics. There's a fantastic breakdown with dissonant chords with Bannon shrieking, "Our eagles become our vultures!!"

Earth Crisis - "Firestorm/Forged in the Flames" from Firestorm (1993)

5/5. Karl Buechner indirectly screams out a message against all the world's problems, in the popular title track of this EP Firestorm, "A chemically tainted welfare generation, absolute complete moral degeneration". The track is indexed together with "Forged in the Flames", an incredible anthem for The Revolution.

Snapcase - "Killing Yourself To Live" from Progression Through Unlearning (1997)

4.5/5. Now this kicks a**! This was back in the hardcore side of metalcore was still reigning and can cause cool riots. I'm not currently thinking of continuing my non-melodic metalcore rediscovery journey, but if I do, this album might be a good one to start with. Great one, Daniel!

Deadguy - "Free Mustache Rides" from Screamin' with the Deadguy Quintet (1996)

5/5. This is the odd yet best one in this EP. The lyrics and screams can be scary as sh*t for newcomers while having a bit of humor, particularly in the title.

Deformity - "The Dark Sun" from Murder Within Sin (1999)

4.5/5. The centerpiece of this song's entire album, and a great underrated part of death metal/deathcore history. The riffing starts off sounding like Slayer before leading into bruising death, complete with screams and growls in the vocals. That's how explosive death metal/core can be!

Crawlspace - "Enter the Realm of Chaos" from Enter the Realm of Chaos (2001)

3/5. The best song for me in this poor attempt of a death metal/core EP, with good drums in the mix, and once it's all over, the album's piano/string intro is reprised.

God Forbid - "Chains of Humanity" from IV: Constitution of Treason (2005)

5/5. This is the strongest headbanging track of its original album, binding together extreme Megadeth-like riffing with an intense yet melodic chorus. The "STRENGTH! BEYOND STRENGTH!!" bridge with Byron Davis’ shouting really gives the song more commanding force.

Underoath - "The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed" from Lost in the Sound of Separation (2008)

5/5. This is a furious follow-up, stunning you way hard. Once again, what makes that song a highlight is the drumming by Gillespie. That and his singing keeps getting better album after album, dominating alongside melodic chanting after all that fire and brimstone.

Electric Callboy - "We Got the Moves" from We Got the Moves (2021)

4.5/5. Another music video from Electric Callboy that my brother likes and gave me the idea to add this song to the playlist. Keep the trance-dance up and high! It's so bizarre yet worth approaching, this wild roller.

Memphis May Fire - "Wanting More" from This Light I Hold (2016)

4.5/5. H*ll yes, I want some more of this!

Upon a Burning Body - "Snake Eyes" from A New Responsibility (2022)

5/5. ...And even more of this! This banger shows Upon a Burning Body channeling their Pantera spirit while reminding some of Throwdown. You can hear that all the way to the ending bass line! This would be a crazy good live staple. SO G****MN AWESOME!!! Well done, guys!

In Hearts Wake - "Warcry" from Ark (2017)

5/5. The lyrics are well-written from this solid band! At least there isn't a wild breakdown in every moment (except the bridge), easier for this song to be preserved for eternity.

Northlane - "Citizen" from Mesmer (2017)

5/5. Both this album and that In Hearts Wake album were released a year after both bands' collaborative EP. For this track, OMG, I have no words to describe this beauty!

Down & Dirty - "Heaven Sent" from Heaven Sent (2017)

4.5/5. This is one of those songs you can use to comfort yourself after a painful relationship, especially those cool lyrics. This can almost be like a combination of Architects and the early 2010s eras of Asking Alexandria and Bring Me the Horizon. This can really show how relationships can end up dead in Hell. The vocals rule here!

Kingdom of Giants - "Wayfinder" from Passenger (2020)

4/5. Another underrated song with cool production, though I'm not into the synthwave undertone.

Sienna Skies - "Misunderstood" from A Darker Shade of Truth (2016)

4.5/5. The vocals sound really good, almost like early 2010s Parkway Drive, though there is a clean chorus.

Wage War - "If Tomorrow Never Comes" from Manic (2021)

5/5. If tomorrow never comes and we watch the world burn, at least we have this awesome banger!

Betraying the Martyrs - "Swan Song" from Silver Lining (2022)

5/5. This is pretty awesome! With a new frontman, Betraying the Martyrs have completed their transformation from symphonic deathcore to technical metalcore that Make Them Suffer have completed two years prior. Probably my favorite track in this EP!

Shadow of Intent - "The Dreaded Mystic Abyss" from Melancholy (2020)

4.5/5. Another long instrumental epic, a mind-blowing monster that has hit me the hardest in my 9 years of metal. I still only have mild interest in Shadow of Intent, though I guess this could be what the DOOM soundtrack would sound like if Angel Vivaldi teamed up with Mick Gordon. 10 minutes of atmospheric, epic, and brutal genius!

Every Time I Die - "We Go Together" from Radical (2021)

5/5. This track ends this playlist and Every Time I Die's final album similarly to Between the Buried and Me's Automata pair of albums, a theatrical metal ending encouraging us to go together. I didn't the band would actually go for real... RIP

HOLY SH*T, this is probably one of the best metalcore playlists I've ever done, with most of the tracks reaching 4.5 or 5 stars, and only a few tough speed bumps. I sure would recommend this to any metalcore fan and anyone who isn't into metalcore but wants to get into a great start in enjoying the genre. Thanks Daniel for accepting this and your help with your submission, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!