November 2021 "The Pit" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post October 31, 2021 07:30 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/083tGvGRuasSsmN8d3Nyww?si=5ee5dc1a32484d38

Tracklisting:

01. Testament - "First Strike Is Deadly" (from The Legacy, 1987) [Submitted by Sonny]

02. Eternal Evil - "Bestial Fornication" (from The Warriors Awakening Brings The Unholy Slaughter, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

03. Dew-Scented - "Arise From Decay" (from "Invocation", 2010) [Submitted by Daniel]

04. Lamb of God - "The Faded Line" (from Ashes of the Wake, 2004)

05. Allegiance - "Torn Between Two Worlds" (from "D.e.s.t.i.t.u.t.i.o.n., 1994) [Submitted by Danie]

06. Artillery - "Into The Universe" (from "Fear Of Tomorrow", 1985) [Submitted by Daniel]

07. Municipal Waste - "You're Cut Off" (from The Fatal Feast: Waste In Space, 2012)

08. Fuelled By Fire - "Thrash Is Back" (from Spread the Fire, 2007) [Submitted by Vinny]

09. Merciless Death - "Slaughter Lord" (from Evil in the Night, 2007) [Submitted by Vinny]

10. Onslaught - "Metal Forces" (from The Force, 1986) [Submitted by Sonny]

11. Ursus - "Motorockers" (from Garra de Acero, 2021)

12. Dark Angel - "Black Prophecies" (from Darkness Descends, 1986) [Submitted by Sonny]

13. Devastation - "Deliver the Suffering" (from Idolatory ,1991) [Submitted by Vinny]

14. Nervosa - "Under Ruins" (from Perpetual Chaos, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

15. Droid - "Amorphous Forms" (from Terrestrial Mutations, 2017)

16. Kreator - "Betrayer" (from "Extreme Aggression", 1989) [Submitted by Daniel]

17. Strike Master - "Inflexible Steel" (from Vicious Nightmare, 2009) [Submitted by Vinny]

18. Sepultura - "Phantom Self" (from Machine Messiah, 2017)

19. Death Angel - "Dethroned" (from "Killing Season", 2008) [Submitted by Daniel]

20. Gammacide - "Shock Treatment" (from Victims of Science, 1989) [Submitted by Vinny]

21.Chimaira - "Power Trip" (from The Impossibility of Reason, 2003)

22. Bewitcher - "The Widow's Blade" (from Cursed Be Thy Kingdom, 2021) [Submitted by Sonny]

23. Children of Technology - "Soundtrack of No Future" (from Written Destiny, 2020)

24. Sabbat - "I for an Eye" (from History of a Time to Come, 1988) [Submitted by Sonny]

25. Total Annihilation - "...On Chains Of Doom" (from "...On Chains Of Doom", 2020) [Submitted by Daniel]

26. Speedwolf - "Up All Night" (from Ride With Death, 2011)

November 23, 2021 04:56 PM

Really enjoyed this playlist - nice one Vinny, there are some real rippers here.

A couple of surprises for me was quite enjoying the Lamb of God and Sepultura tracks despite never being a fan of LoG and believing (rightly I think) that Sepultura's best days are long behind them.

Most of my own choices were pretty safe, but I'm still really loving the Bewitcher track.

There are several albums I will have to check out further but particularly the Eternal Evil, Speedwolf and Allegiance discs.

The Children of Technology, Chimaira and Death Angel tracks I could live without, but everything else hit the spot most satisfactorily!

November 26, 2021 07:05 PM

Really enjoyed this playlist - nice one Vinny, there are some real rippers here.

A couple of surprises for me was quite enjoying the Lamb of God and Sepultura tracks despite never being a fan of LoG and believing (rightly I think) that Sepultura's best days are long behind them.

Most of my own choices were pretty safe, but I'm still really loving the Bewitcher track.

There are several albums I will have to check out further but particularly the Eternal Evil, Speedwolf and Allegiance discs.

The Children of Technology, Chimaira and Death Angel tracks I could live without, but everything else hit the spot most satisfactorily!

Quoted Sonny

Thanks Sonny, I find LoG and latter day Sepultura very hit and miss.  I am making a conscious effort to expand my horizons in the clan though especially outside of my comfort zone which in all honesty is conventional thrash metal with the odd bit of crossover and a lot of blackened thrash.  I have already got loose playlists put together that cover these more "uncomfortable" sub-genres such as Groove, Speed and Technical thrash metal to around Feb 22.  I am actively listening to full albums of this stuff as well so the playlist does represent genuinely what I am listening to and I do still include shit I can't get on with (like Chimaira).

I just cannot get on with Death Angel.  To much weird stuff thrown into a band that really can deliver on the thrash front when they put their mind to it.  That Eternal Evil album drops today and this sounds like it will scratch my black/thrash itch for the month of December.  Having said that I just managed to get Nekromantheon's sophomore LP on Todestrieb Records this afternoon so depending on delivery times that might get a bashing throughout the month also.

I am going right off Sabbat though which were one of my favoured UK bands for thrash - those vocals and me just don't get on like we used to.  Kreator, Dark Angel and Testament gave me my hits this month really.

November 26, 2021 08:23 PM

Kreator, Dark Angel and Testament gave me my hits this month really.

Quoted Vinny

Yeah those are all really solid examples of the thrash metal genre, aren't they? Especially the Kreator one which sits amongst my all-time favourites.

I am making a conscious effort to expand my horizons in the clan though especially outside of my comfort zone which in all honesty is conventional thrash metal with the odd bit of crossover and a lot of blackened thrash.  I have already got loose playlists put together that cover these more "uncomfortable" sub-genres such as Groove, Speed and Technical thrash metal to around Feb 22.  I am actively listening to full albums of this stuff as well so the playlist does represent genuinely what I am listening to and I do still include shit I can't get on with (like Chimaira).

Quoted Vinny

It's so great to see you fully embracing the spirit of the clan arrangement Vinny. I think this list has turned out tremendously well & I can only see it improving further from here.

November 26, 2021 09:41 PM
I just cannot get on with Death Angel.  To much weird stuff thrown into a band that really can deliver on the thrash front when they put their mind to it.  That Eternal Evil album drops today and this sounds like it will scratch my black/thrash itch for the month of December.  Having said that I just managed to get Nekromantheon's sophomore LP on Todestrieb Records this afternoon so depending on delivery times that might get a bashing throughout the month also.

I am going right off Sabbat though which were one of my favoured UK bands for thrash - those vocals and me just don't get on like we used to.  Kreator, Dark Angel and Testament gave me my hits this month really.

Quoted Vinny

It's weird that you say that about Sabbat as it echoes my own thoughts of recent times. History of a Time to Come was once one of my all-time favourites and I still think it's a great record, but some of it's sheen has faded and most of it is down to Martin Walkyier's vocals. The CD reissue has five live tracks and these are where Walkyier started to annoy me and I can't listen to the original in the same way anymore.

As for Death Angel, I still love their debut, but can't get on with any of their other releases at all.

November 27, 2021 11:26 AM

As for Death Angel, I still love their debut, but can't get on with any of their other releases at all.
Quoted Sonny

I've always liked "The Ultra-Violence" but I can't deny my feeling that it's a flawed & overrated release, particularly vocally. To my ears "Act III" is the band's peak as it saw them ironing out all of the kinks & producing a well thought-out & mature metal record that may not be all that thrashy but makes up for it with quality song-writing & execution. Death Angel's 2000's material is worth a look but I wouldn't say it's essential while their 1988 sophomore album "Frolic Through the Park" is an absolute abomination.

November 27, 2021 02:24 PM

Quoted Sonny

I've always liked "The Ultra-Violence" but I can't deny my feeling that it's a flawed & overrated release, particularly vocally. To my ears "Act III" is the band's peak as it saw them ironing out all of the kinks & producing a well thought-out & mature metal record that may not be all that thrashy but makes up for it with quality song-writing & execution. Death Angel's 2000's material is worth a look but I wouldn't say it's essential while their 1988 sophomore album "Frolic Through the Park" is an absolute abomination.

Quoted Daniel

Flawed it may be but when the band hit the sweet spot, man they thrash like a muthafucker. As for being overrated? I personally don't think an album that contains a song like Voracious Souls can ever be deemed overrated!