April 2021 "The Pit" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post March 31, 2021 10:11 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1p4akSJoBHQPVD5RuMpapP?si=q2tcNdzQRMyF14uYpoNWLA

Tracklisting:

01. Mr. Bungle – “Sudden Death” (from “The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny Demo”, 2020)

02. Overkill – “Dreaming In Columbian” (from “I Hear Black”, 1993)

03. Venom – “Rip Ride” (from “At War With Satan”, 1984) [Submitted by Daniel]

04. Acid – “Hooked On Metal” (from “Acid”, 1983) [Submitted by Daniel]

05. Hexecutor – “Tiger Of The Seven Seas” (from “Beyond Any Human Conception Of Knowledge…”, 2020)

06. Slayer – “Mr. Freeze” (from “Undisputed Attitude”, 1996) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

07. Dr. Living Dead! – “Dr. Living Dead” (from “Dr. Living Dead!”, 2011)

08. Killer Be Killed – “Inner Calm From Outer Storms” (from “Reluctant Hero”, 2020)

09. Metallica – “The Call Of Ktulu” (from “Ride The Lightning”, 1984) [Submitted by Daniel]

10. Megadeth – “Poisonous Shadows” (from “Dystopia”, 2016) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

11. Destruction – “Mad Butcher” (from “Sentence Of Death” E.P., 1984) [Submitted by Daniel]

12. Sodom – “Sodom & Gomorrah” (from “Genesis XIX”, 2020)

13. Onslaught – “Demoniac” (from “The Force”, 1986) [Submitted by Sonny92]

14. Celtic Frost – “Into The Crypts Of Rays” (from “Morbid Tales” E.P., 1984) [Submitted by Daniel]

15. Anthrax – “Got The Time” (from “Persistence Of Time”, 1990) [Submitted by Sonny92]

16. Dark Angel – “Pain’s Invention, Madness” (from “Time Does Not Heal”, 1991) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

17. Gama Bomb – “Ninja Untouchables/Untouchable Glory” (from “Untouchable Glory”, 2015) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

18. Cryptosis – “Prospect Of Immortality” (from “Transmissions Of Chaos” split E.P. with Vektor, 2021)

19. Sacred Reich – “Death Squad” (from “Ignorance”, 1987) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

20. Angelus Apatrida – “The Age Of Disinformation” (from “Angelus Apatrida”, 2021)

21. D.R.I. – “I Don’t Need Society” (from “Dealing With It”, 1985)

22. Wraith – “War Of Aggression” (from “Absolute Power”, 2019) [Submitted by Sonny92]

23. Mekong Delta – “Nightmare Patrol” (from “Mekong Delta”, 1987)

24. Crucified Mortals – “Behind The Lurid Mask” (from “Psalms Of The Dead Choir”, 2016) [Submitted by Sonny92]

25. Nervosa – “Under Ruins” (from “Perpetual Chaos”, 2021)

26. Hellripper – “Beyond The Convent Walls” (from “The Affair Of The Poisons”, 2020)

27. Merciless – “Denied Birth” (from “The Awakening”, 1990) [Submitted by Sonny92]

April 02, 2021 04:14 PM

Pretty good playlist this month. Some obvious old favourites and a few surprises - Mr. Bungle and Cryptosis particularly are both new to me and impressed. I haven't listened to the latest Sodom album yet because I was worried that it would disappoint too much, but I enjoyed the track here, so I think I'll risk it now.

On the downside, I still can't get excited about Overkill and I didn't really like the Angelus Apatrida track. The production on DRI's I Don't Need Society made it stick out like a sore thumb too on such a meaty-sounding playlist.

But overall, a neck-wrenchingly awesome way to spend a couple of hours on a Good Friday afternoon, so thanks to all.

April 02, 2021 08:47 PM

That new full-length from Cryptosis is on my "to do" pile and the first spin of it peaked interest enough for a second visit soon so I will be interested to hear the Vektor split on this list over the weekend.  I can't get into the latest Sodom which is a shame because I have loved most of the recent output but this one feels underwhelming in comparison.  I have been on a thrash kick this past few weeks so looking forward to getting some time with this list soon.

April 04, 2021 10:42 AM

After sitting down with the list this morning I have finally got round to parking that latest Killer Be Killed album in my queue as it is shaping up to be interesting based on the exposure it has had in recent months on the MA lists in The Pit.  I have found Max's output to be hit and miss since his days in Sepultura but I did enjoy the last Soulfly album and Reluctant Hero appears to have the same ethos at it's core although also feels much more expansive also.  Biggest surprise was that Mr Bungle track which has got me switched onto them now after years of thinking them just some spoof act/project.  Really powerful stuff.

That Cryptosis track builds into a real epic tune, reminds me of if Vektor and Revocation slept together and had a baby.  I need more Wraith in my life definitely - very Toxic Holocaust/Midnight at the same time. Neat find.

Firm nods to classics this month with Celtic FrostDestruction, Onslaught and Metallica tracks taking me back nicely.  That Anthrax track too gave me a 90's blast back and it was good to see Sacred Reich in there also.  I chose that Dark Angel track with some trepidation as I don't really get on with that record at all but I find that track stands out from the rest of the output on the record.

I had stumbled across Dr. Living Dead during my research for suggestions for May's list and had already skipped them due to the vocals just not fitting my template at all well.  I just can't get on with new Sodom still and I can't specifically put my finger on why at this stage but I just am not feeling it.  I am however warming to Hexecutor although I find their instrumental passages still too lengthy for my rabid appetite when it comes to thrash.   Didn't get along with the vocals on Crucified Mortals and the popularity of Nervosa continues to evade me.

A good month overall and enjoying the opportunity to take some downtime over the long weekend to listen through a couple of playlists in one or two sittings.