What are your top 5 or 10 technical thrash metal releases?

First Post November 08, 2020 08:15 AM

With all this talk about favorite thrash metal and crossover thrash releases, I think it's time for us to discuss a slightly lesser-known thrash subgenre, technical thrash! That's the kind of thrash I'm used to because of how technical and progressive it can be, and thanks to the early thrashy hardcore Neurosis albums from the late 80s, now I can tolerate a bit of the golden decade of thrash without going too deep into the old. At this point, if I end up enjoying a few more bands going as early as say 1987, and one of those bands has an album in The Pit Thrash Metal Modern Era clan challenge, I just might qualify for that challenge once the ability to gain a 5th clan via the challenges gets implemented. Anyway, here are my top 5 technical thrash releases (thrash mixed with progressive also included in my list):

5. Revocation - Existence is Futile (2009)

4. Vektor - Black Future (2009)

3. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2005)

2. Coroner - Mental Vortex (1991)

1. Annihilator - Alice in Hell (1989)

So do you like technical thrash and have a list of top 5 or 10 releases of that subgenre you feel like sharing here? Discuss!

November 08, 2020 12:21 PM

Here's my initial attempt:

01. Coroner – “Mental Vortex” (1991)

02. Sadus – “A Vision Of Misery” (1992)

03. Coroner – “No More Color” (1989)

04. Vektor – “Black Future” (2009)

05. Coroner – “R.I.P.” (1987)

06. Coroner – “Punishment For Decadence” CD version (1988)

07. Vektor – “Terminal Redux” (2016)

08. Revocation – “Teratogenesis” E.P. (2012)

09. Watchtower – “Energetic Disassembly” (1985)

10. Mekong Delta – “Mekong Delta” (1987)

P.S. I wouldn't hold your breath for a fifth clan option Andi.

November 08, 2020 01:11 PM
Cool list, Daniel! I might try that Sadus album to push my technical thrash interest a bit further. The fifth clan option might not be likely at the moment, but never say never...
November 09, 2020 06:00 AM

Although I love Tech Thrash, I haven't heard a huge number of artists who play it yet, so I'll keep it to 5

1. Coroner - No More Color (1989)

2. Watchtower - Energetic Disassembly (1985)

3. Watchtower - Control and Resistance (1989)

4. Destruction - Release from Agony (1987)

5. Аспид [Aspid] - Кровоизлияние (1992)

November 16, 2020 12:30 AM

You haven't heard a lot of tech-thrash, SilentScream? Well I have some recommendations for you to start with (thrash mixed with progressive also included in my list):

5. Revocation - Existence is Futile (2009)

4. Vektor - Black Future (2009)

3. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2005)

2. Sadus - A Vision of Misery (1992)

1. Annihilator - Alice in Hell (1989)

Those albums can help you start on your tech-thrash journey with some of the greatest bands of the subgenre. The list can also be my current top 5 list with the only difference being Coroner's Mental Vortex tied with that Annihilator album for #1. Enjoy this tech-pack!

Y'know, I think now that we can make our own public lists, these "lists" kind of threads are no longer totally necessary when we can just make our own lists to share and inspire other members to make similar lists. So I say we focus on doing our top 5 or 10 (or any number) releases of a year, clan, or genre in the public lists from now on. I'm gonna head out of this thread and take my top 5 tech-thrash releases with me. See ya on the "list" side! https://metal.academy/lists/single/82