October 2020 Feature Release - The Pit Edition

First Post September 30, 2020 09:55 PM

It's now October which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We're really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don't be shy.

This month's feature release for The Pit is 1985's classic debut album from New Jersey thrash metal outfit Overkill entitled "Feel The Fire".

https://metal.academy/releases/1613

October 03, 2020 03:36 AM

Okay, so I'm a noob who never experienced the thrash metal wave that took over the scene during the 1980s. What was the initial reaction to Overkill's debut record, Feel the Fire in comparison to...Metallica or Megadeth? Why do Overkill get so heavily overlooked? Would they have been in "The Big Five" if such a thing existed? Perhaps someone like Sonny would be able to provide me with some much needed context.

As for the record itself, I was not at all impressed by the debut LP. I'll keep my review brief, but this record feels really sloppy, both in the production, as well as in the overall performance. Overkill would redeem themselves substantially with Taking Over and The Years of Decay in the following years. If Overkill were in fact overlooked during the eighties, it was probably because of this album. You only have one chance to make a good first impression I guess.

6/10

October 03, 2020 01:03 PM

As I've referenced elsewhere, I am not a big fan of Overkill and the debut is unlikely to change the view of anyone of like mind. I think it's a poorly produced and uncommitted record, as if the band are caught between Iron Maiden / Mercyful Fate style classic metal and thrash metal and were hedging their bets. Some parts of this sound like demos for Maiden's Powerslave  album, yet they prove that when they put their mind to it they can thrash for sure - listen to Hammerhead for proof! To address Saxy's point, I can only express what I see from a euro-centric point of view, so I don't have any insight to how the band were perceived in the US. In those pre-internet days word of mouth was key to a band's exposure and standing and in Europe at least I would say that Overkill were a little late to the party, perhaps not getting the label support they needed. Let's face it, to really put this album in context it was released in the same year as Hell Awaits, To Mega Therion, Spreading the Disease, Endless Pain, Seven Churches and Bonded by Blood against all of which I think most thrash fans would agree it pales by comparison. I even think minor albums like Onslaught's Power From Hell, Sacrilege's Behind the Realms of Madness and Razor's Evil Invaders piss all over it, to be honest. At a time when music wasn't cheap - certainly not in England anyway - fans had to be more discerning in what they bought and I just don't think Overkill cut it, especially with this album and as Saxy says, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

October 03, 2020 08:47 PM

There's some interesting perspectives being voiced here. I actually selected "Feel The Fire" for this month's feature release because I was keen to see if our more discerning Metal Academics would perpetuate the same level of unbridled enthusiasm that the rest of the world seems to for Overkill when I've never been seen them as a tier one player myself & so far the results are proving my point. Don't get me wrong, I have a fair amount of time for "Feel The Fire" but I've never regarded it as any sort of classic thrash release. I first encountered Overkill through their 1987 sophomore album "Taking Over" around 1989/90 & then checked out "Horrorscope" in 1991 (my favourite Overkill release to this day) before exploring their back catalogue so "Feel The Fire" was always going to feel a little primitive in comparison. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it though. The tracklisting is generally pretty consistent with only "There's No Tomorrow" leaving me with a negative impression but there's a distinct lack of genuine highlights on offer. The album possesses nowhere near the menace of some of its peers of the time with Iron Maiden's classic metal influence being far more obvious & faithful to the original than with some of their contemporaries. There's also a fair whack of speed metal included at times without ever really pushing for primary subgenre status. "Rotten To The Core" & "Blood & Iron" are the clear album highlights for me personally but neither of them are competing with the big boys of the US thrash movement. Overall I'd suggest that "Feel The Fire" is a generally enjoyable US thrash record that I rarely feel the need to return to. I feel similarly about their self-titled debut E.P. to be honest but I do think that "Feel The Fire" was a minor improvement on that relatively underground release.

3.5/5

October 03, 2020 10:18 PM

My review is up and largely reflects the opinion of the majority.  Clumsy drumming, hindered guitar sound and a poor production and mix job.  Ellesworth carries the record (and actually reminds me off Biff Byford at one point) with Verni being the other consistent performer.

3/5