Metal Academy Radio - "The Pit" Playlist October 2020

First Post September 30, 2020 09:25 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/55Q3CcNFm7SQwFhIwEFHMs?si=mPILy6TERMSDKjkWs1zAdA

Tracklisting:

01. Hypnosia – “Circle Of The Flesh” (from “Extreme Hatred”, 2000)

02. Five Finger Death Punch – “Inside Out” (from “F8”, 2020)

03. Helloween – “Judas” (from “Judas E.P., 1986)

04. Prong – “Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck” (from “Cleansing”, 1994)

05. Machine Head – “Darkness Within” (from “Unto The Locust”, 2011)

06. Heathen – “Open The Grave” (from “Breaking The Silence”, 1987) [Submitted by Daniel]

07. Nevermore – “This Godless Endeavor” (from “This Godless Endeavor”, 2005) [Submitted by Ben]

08. ADX – “King Of Pain” (from “Weird Visions”, 1990)

09. Ratos de Porão – “Mad Society” (from “Anarkophobia”, 1990)

10. Coroner – “Divine Step” (from “Mental Vortex”, 1991) [Submitted by Ben]

11. Annihilator – “Armed To The Teeth” (from “Ballistic, Sadistic”, 2020)

12. Lamb Of God – “Laid To Rest” (from “Ashes Of the Wake”, 2004)

13. Overkill – “Electric Rattlesnake” (from “The Electric Age”, 2012)

14. Artillery – “The Challenge” (from “Terror Squad”, 1987) [Submitted by Daniel]

15. Rigor Mortis – “Re-Animator” (from “Rigor Mortis”, 1988) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

16. Razor – “The Pugilist” (from “Shotgun Justice”, 1990)

17. Excel – “Insecurity” (from “Split Image”, 1987) [Submitted by Daniel]

18. Sylosis – “Empty Prophets” (from “Cycle Of Suffering”, 2020)

19. Sepultura – “Means To An End” (from “Quadra”, 2020)

20. Vulture – “Victim To The Blade” (from “Victim To The Blade” E.P., 2016)

21. Nocturnal – “Merciless Murder” (from “Arrival Of The Carnivore”, 2005) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

22. Deathrow – “Raging Steel” (from “Raging Steel”, 1987) [Submitted by Daniel]

23. Antichrist – “Sign Of The Beast” (from “Forbidden World”, 2011)

24. Devastation – “Deliver The Suffering” (from “Idolatry”, 1991) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

25. Morbid Saint – “Assassin” (from “Spectrum Of Death”, 1990) [Submitted by Ben]

October 13, 2020 09:12 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Nevermore – “This Godless Endeavor” (from “This Godless Endeavor”, 2005)

9/10. Well that's interesting, adding a climatic epic right in the middle of the first half of the playlist. Either way, it's an amazing progressive thrash epic, starting with an acoustic intro, before switching to irresistible heaviness, and it has the best sweeping passage of the album right before the climactic ending.

Coroner – “Divine Step” (from “Mental Vortex”, 1991)

10/10. Oh yeah, a song I initially thought was a stinker for myself, but I now recognize as the enormous starter progressive/thrash metalheads really love. It frantically yet decently punches through the discordant verses and riffs, powerful enough to blow my mind harder than a head-shot through the temple. I also enjoy the mellow bridge that contrasts against the typical heaviness and metallic guitar strength. What I thought was too out of place is now in place again!

Annihilator – “Armed To The Teeth” (from “Ballistic, Sadistic”, 2020)

10/10. Holy h*ll, this is incredible!! This is basically ballistic tech-ish thrash similar to early Coroner alongside main founder Jeff Waters channeling his inner James Hetfield (both the vocals and guitars)! Absolutely KILLER!!!!

Lamb Of God – “Laid To Rest” (from “Ashes Of the Wake”, 2004)

11/10 (not exaggerated). My absolute favorite song from a band in The Pit, though Lamb of God is more of a groove/thrash metal band unlike the 3 progressive/thrash metal bands I've commented on. It's an awesome standout with a meaner vibe than the other songs I've mentioned. The spoken narration during the intro is a nice unique addition. The riff in the bridge as Blythe yells "SEE WHO GIVES A F***!!" is fantastic. And of course, we can't forget about the infamous long "FAILURE!!!" scream. Excellent song!

Those songs are really great, thanks Ben and Daniel! However, I won't immediately start listening to the rest of Annihilator's discography. I'm still new to thrash metal going back to the late 80s (other than early Neurosis which is more on the hardcore side), and about a week or two from now, I plan on getting a couple other band discographies, including Coroner, which would be a good starting point for me before I get to the further Annihilator side of the tech-thrash bridge that I plan on crossing a couple weeks after. I'm taking my slow time... I'm heading toward thrash metal's golden age without my taste going too deep into the old!