April 2020 Feature Release - The Pit Edition

First Post March 31, 2020 08:07 PM

It's now April which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter.   

This month's feature release for The Pit is 1985's seminal "Speak English Or Die" album from New York crossover thrash legends S.O.D. (otherwise known as Stormtroopers Of Death). The band is somewhat of a super group in that it's made up of vocalist Billy Milano (M.O.D.), guitarist Scott Ian (Anthrax), bassist Dan Lilker (Brutal Truth/Holy Moses/Nuclear Assault) & drummer Charlie Benante (Anthrax). The album is widely regarded as the most important release from the crossover thrash  movement so we're excited to see what you think of it.

April 30, 2020 10:14 PM

What a hilarious and entertaining album. I expected satire when I came into this, and I wasn't disappointed at all. Is it the best Crossover Thrash album? Not sure about that, but it's certainly the one that kept me extremely entertained through it's short runtime. The punk influence is massive and plays into the theme of the album really well, and every riff is just unchained madness. Some tracks definitely miss the mark, like "Pussy Whipped" for me personally, but for an album as sporadic and short as this it's tough to dwell on a few misses when the rest of the riffs and drumming is so good. I'm not afraid to give an album high marks just for amusement factor, and I had a blast with this album, even if I don't think it's the best quality overall. 

4/5 

And with that I think I'm finally all caught up with monthly releases, just in time for the new ones for May. WHEW. 

May 01, 2020 07:01 AM

I completely agree with your synopsis Xephyr. "Speak English Or Die" is actually my all-time favourite crossover thrash album for very much the same reasons as you enjoyed it.

4/5

May 04, 2020 02:17 PM

I don't spend much time with it if I am honest.  I have to really be in the mood for it as find it commands a lot of my attention and focus.  Definitely does what it says on the tin though and is full of that nefarious, shit-kicking attitude you'd expect alongside the scathing humour which provides much entertainment as described.  Feels a lot longer than 28 mins in duration though.

4/5

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
May 04, 2020 11:26 PM

I'm not the best person to judge an album like this one, as I struggle with crossover thrash in general. I also struggle with humour in my metal, although for some reason Mr Bungle is an exclusion to that statement. I find all the silliness in SOD to be immature and a distraction from the admittedly good riffs that pop up throughout. I rated it 2.5 stars on RYM when I last paid it any attention, but I see that was 12 years ago!