March 2022 "The Pit" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post February 28, 2022 07:26 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/083tGvGRuasSsmN8d3Nyww?si=79dd85be15374e77

01. Sonic Assault – “Coercive Augmentations” (from “Neon Lit Metropolis”, 2022)

02. Metallica – “Seek & Destroy” (from “Kill ‘Em All”, 1983) [Submitted by Sonny]

03. Living Death – “Rulers Must Come” (from “Metal Revolution”, 1985) [Submitted by Daniel]

04. Raunchy – “Digital Dreamer” (from “Vices.Virtues.Visions.”, 2014)

05. Schizophrenia – “Inside the Walls of Madness” (from “Recollections of the Insane”, 2022) [Submitted by Vinny]

06. Extinction A.D. – “Mastic” (from “Culture of Violence”, 2022)

07. Kreator – “Hate Über Alles” (from “Hate Über Alles”, 2022) [Submitted by Vinny]

08. Venom – “Powerdrive” (from “Possessed”, 1985) [Submitted by Daniel]

09. Midnight – “Szex Witchery” (from “Let There Be Witchery”, 2022) [Submitted by Vinny]

10. Sacrifizer – “Blackfire Wytch” (from “La Morte Triomphante”, 2019) [Submitted by Vinny]

11. Sadus – “Twisted Face” (from “Chemical Exposure”, 1988) [Submitted by Daniel]

12. Holy Terror – “Blood of Saints” (from “Terror & Submission”, 1987) [Submitted by Sonny]

13. Hallows Eve – “Pleas of the Aged” (from “Death and Insanity”, 1986) [Submitted by Daniel]

14. Dekapitator – “One Shot, One Kill” (from “We Will Destroy You…You Will Obey!!!”, 1999)

15. At War – “Ordered to Kill” (from “Ordered to Kill”,1986) [Submitted by Daniel]

16. Cryptic Shift – “Planetary Hypnosis” (from “Visitations from Enceladus”, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

17. Alien Weaponry – “Kai Tangata” (from “Tü”, 2018)

18. Biohazard – “Vengeance is Mine” (from “Reborn in Defiance”, 2012)

19. Austrian Death Machine– “Get to the Choppa” (from “Total Brutal”, 2008) [Submitted by Vinny]

20. Lawnmower Deth – “Satan’s Trampoline” (from “Oh Crikey It’s…”, 1990)

21. Hirax – “Demons Evil Forces” (from “Raging Violence”, 1985) [Submitted by Daniel]

22. Running Wild – “Marching to Die” (from “Branded and Exiled”, 1985) [Submitted by Daniel]

23. Witchburner – “Thrash Attack” (from “Blasphemic Assault”, 1998)

24. Destruction – “Release from Agony” (from “Release from Agony”, 1987) [Submitted by Sonny]

25. Cryptosis – “Death Technology” (from “Bionic Swarm”, 2021)

26. Détente– “Life is Pain” (from “Recognize No Authority”, 1986) [Submitted by Daniel]

27. Generation Kill – “Rat King” (from “MKultra”, 2022)

28. Suicidal Angels – “Capital of War” (from “Division of Blood”, 2016)

29. Slayer – “Seasons in the Abyss” (from “Seasons in the Abyss”, 1990)

March 30, 2022 07:41 PM

I listened to this whilst out with the dog this month so I didn't have a tracklisting to hand whilst it was playing. It started off a bit slowly for me, unless it was the presence of Seek & Destroy early in the list laying waste to the tracks around it. It still grieves me greatly to recall what happened to Metallica when listening to their early stuff and how they completely shat on their own legacy. Anyway, it took Kreator to really shake me out of my reverie and from then on things really went up a gear. Old favourites like Venom, Sadus, Holy Terror and Hallows Eve interspersed with some less familiar ass-kickers like Dekapitator, At War and Cryptic Shift hit the spot.

The couple of groove metal tracks from Alien Weaponry and Biohazard didn't do too much for me unfortunately. Then we have a couple of bands I've only heard about and never bothered with as I didn't think they were that serious. Austrian Death Machine's Get to the Choppa is actually pretty good though and not at all what I expected (when will I learn?) I remember seeing Lawnmower Deth everywhere at one point in the eighties (here in England anyway) but thought that they sounded a bit silly - and so they are, although this is actually quite a fun track I don't know if I could take a full album or if it would rub me up the wrong way like M.O.D.

Things then get real and we have a pretty solid run to the end. I've never heard or heard of Détente before, but I quite dug the punk/thrash vibe they exhibited here. Of course we end with a classic Slayer track, which has my second favourite Slayer intro (Raining Blood being #1).