2021 Metal Academy "The Pit" Clan Awards

First Post February 02, 2022 11:00 AM

So the hour is finally at hand. The announcement that all of our dedicated clan members have been eagerly anticipating for the last couple of months has arrived at long last. It brings me great pleasure to announce that The Pit's Release of the Year iiiiiissssss....... *insert blast beat drum roll here*

Cryptosis - "Bionic Swarm"

And The Pit's Cover Artwork Of The Year goes ttttttooooooo...

Proscriptor McGovern's Apsu - "Proscriptor McGovern's Apsu"

February 02, 2022 02:48 PM

Another worthy winner, although I was a bit late to this one too, but I did buy the vinyl LP last week so a big hurrah for this one. I do like that Apsu cover as well.

February 03, 2022 01:50 AM

Really surprised by this one, hell I took this one off my final year-end list (that I realized I still have to post here on The Academy). I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but there were quite a few others that really stuck out to me this year. Glad this debut is getting a lot of traction though, hope Cryptosis can keep up the momentum. 

February 03, 2022 08:30 PM
Nekromantheon took my top spot this year. I actually regard it as the first genuine thrash metal classic I've heard in a very long time & I'm surprised that it didn't get more praise than it did around the wider metal community. As much as I enjoyed the Steel Bearing Hand record, "Visions Of Trismegistos" was the clear winner for me.
February 08, 2022 08:36 PM

Yeah, the nostalgic edge to Nekromantheon's sound harks back to Morbid Saint, Dark Angel, (early) Slayer and there is also a hint of Possessed also.  It is an album that makes no apologies for wearing it's influences on its sleeves.  Cryptosis deserve some credit for essentially reinventing themselves (not technically a debut Xeph, they have been around since 2013 as Distillator - a much less progressive guise) and nailing it first time.