1993 Black Metal releases (Best, Surprises, Disappointments, Worst)

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post July 19, 2021 11:28 PM

I've finished listening to (and rating) the 26 Black Metal releases from 1993 on the site. I've updated my Top 15 Black Metal Releases (1984-1993) list if anyone's interested.

Top 3 Releases

1. Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon (I think I like this even more than the debut these days)
  2. Immortal - Pure Holocaust (even better when played in context of the year)
  3. Burzum - Det som engang var (flawed, but Varg's genius shines through regularly)

Top 3 Surprises

1. Mystifier - Goetia (occult-themed doomy black metal - so much better than the debut!)
  2. Christ Agony - Unholyunion (quality Polish black metal - if only the tracks didn't overstay their welcome)
  3. Ungod - Circle of the Seven Pacts (Darkthrone inspired - the riffs and vocals are great, the production isn't)

Top 3 Disappointments

1. Impaled Nazarene - Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz (I used to enjoy this, but it's way too immature/repetitive these days)
  2. Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon (I will never understand the cult fandom for this band)
  3. Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path (I wanted to like this, but there's too much pomp and too little substance)

Worst 3 Releases

1. Countess - The Gospel of the Horned One (terrible Bathory clonage - laughable)
  2. Abruptum - Obscuritatem advoco amplectére me (it's certainly a curiosity, but it's far from actually good)
  3. Impaled Nazarene - Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz (see above)