June 2021 "The North" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post May 31, 2021 08:39 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Sw9mEcyXo1pGyFHR3znLT?si=8e0881115bc343cb

Tracklisting:

01. Spectral Wound – “Mausoleal Drift” (from “A Diabolic Thirst”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

02. Fuath – “Prophecies” (from “II”, 2021) [Submitted by Vinny]

03. Obsequiae – “Asleep In The Bracken” (from “The Palms Of Sorrowed Kings”, 2019) [Submitted by Xephyr]

04. Skyclad – “Cry Of The Land” (from “Jonah’s Ark”, 1993)

05. Wolves In The Throne Room – “I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks & Roots” (from “Two Hunters”, 2007) [Submitted by Sonny92]

06. Heretoir – “Ausgeburt” (from “Existenz” E.P., 2008)

07. Bal-Sagoth – “A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria” (from “A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria”, 1995)

08. Arkona – “Pluję na twą marność psie!” (from “Imperium”, 1996)

09. Shining – “Submit To Self-Destruction” (from “Submit To Self-Destruction” E.P., 1998)

10. Xasthur – “In The Hate Of Battle” (from “Nocturnal Poisoning”, 2002) [Submitted by Ben]

11. Mare Cognitum – “Aether Wind” (from “Luminous Aether”, 2016) [Submitted by Ben]

12. Diabolical Masquerade – “Blackheim's Forest Kept the Season Forever” (from “Ravendusk In My Heart”, 1996) [Submitted by Ben]

13. Paysage d’Hiver – “Wüetig” (from “Geister”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

14. Yith – “Risen” (from “Passage”, 2021) [Submitted by Sonny]

15. Ragnarok – “God Is Wasted” (from “Arising Realm”, 1997) [Submitted by Vinny]

16. Gaerea – “Null” (from “Limbo”, 2020) [Submitted by Vinny]

June 02, 2021 08:06 PM

A strong start to this month's North list with that Spectral Wound track which is one of my regular spins of the past month or so.  Once I get the mining riffs of Fuath out of my head I soon find myself wondering why I have never really pursued more Obsequiae and quickly make a note to check out more of their stuff.  Moving swiftly into one of the worst things I have ever heard from Skyclad (not my usual experience of them) but then all is saved by the rich earthiness of that WITTR track - the in form Sonny does it again!

Heretoir just drifts by after that - through no fault of their own, just a tough track to follow - and I find myself reaching for the skip button to end the nonsense that is Bal-Sagoth before Arkona get things back on track - although at first I found myself caught off-guard because this clearly wasn't the Russian band I was familiar with.  More quality stuff from Shining follows and I have a little sleep during that Xasthur track to recharge my batteries (good track just heard it many times so spied my opportunity) before my new favourite band Mare Cognitum drop another stellar track which forces me to go even further into their back catalogue.  The conflict of whether I like Diabolical Masquerade this year or not is presented to me next and I decide 2021 is a good year for Blackheim.

Now I discover that Wintherr's at it again and this news has passed me by somehow.  I fell out with him for Im Wald which was far too long and my attention span struggled massively with it.  On this release it seems the internet is a bit upset with this release but from what I hear on this track it is nice and abrasive stuff.  Sonny wins himself another 100 internet points for putting my second favourite band in the world Yith on the list.

Good month (again), fuck me we are good at this!