April 2021 "The North" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post March 31, 2021 10:08 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4Uy6N4JwpMraQ0QQXxUk6a?si=P-QCKtcfQ0q5xD6cjsK-jA

Tracklisting:

01. Sainte Marie des Loups – “Interdit et oublie” (from “Funerailles de feu”, 2020) [Submitted by Sonny92]

02. Wolves In The Throne Room – “Vastness & Sorrow” (from “Two Hunters”, 2007) [Submitted by Ben]

03. Yoth Iria – “Unbound, Undead, Eternal” (from “As The Flame Withers”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

04. Harakiri For The Sky – “Song To Say Goodbye” (from “Mære”, 2021)

05. Barathrum – “Last Day In Heaven” (from “Legions Of Perkele”, 1998)

06. Mägo de Oz – “Jiga Irlandesa” (from “Jesús de Chamberí”, 1996)

07. Primordial – “Fuil Arsa” (from “Imrama”, 1995)

08. Bathory – “One Road To Asa Bay” (from “Hammerheart”, 1990)

09. Subway To Sally – “” (from “Hochzeit”, 1999)

10. Аркона – “V pogonie za beloj ten'yu” (from “Khram”, 2018) [Submitted by Ben]

11. Stormlord – “Far” (from “Far”, 2019) [Submitted by Xephyr]

12. Bethlehem – “Schatten aus der Alexander Welt” (from “Dictius te necare”, 1996)

13. Suffering Hour – “Transcending Antecedent Visions” (from “The Cyclic Reckoning”, 2021)

14. Malokarpatan – “Ked svetlonosi započnú v močariskách nazeleno svícit (When Will-o'-the-Wisps Begin to Shine Green in the Bogs)” (from “Nordkarpatenland”, 2017) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

15. Enslaved – “Kvasirs blod” (from “Eld”, 1997) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

16. Darkthrone – “Skald au Satans sol” (from “Transilvanian Hunger”, 1994) [Submitted by Sonny92]

17. Forhist – “II” (from “Forhist”, 2021) [Submitted by Sonny92]

18. Dark Fortress – “Iconoclasm Omega” (from “Stab Wounds”, 2004) [Submitted by Ben]

19. Bestial Warlust – “Satanic” (from “Vengeance War ‘Till Death”, 1994)

20. Drastus – “Cygnus XI” (from “Serpent’s Chalice – Materia Prima” E.P., 2009) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

April 09, 2021 07:00 PM

Managed to get a full session on this the other morning and I picked up a couple of recs to take away and investigate more.  That Mago de Oz track was a curved ball but oddly stands out as one of the more memorable tracks.  I still can’t get on with Subway To Sally but it was good to see Yoth Iria and Forhist on there as a couple of newer releases I have on rotation already.

April 09, 2021 09:56 PM

A nice strong start to this month's playlist with the first five tracks, but it died off for me with the next few and the more folk metal-related material, even the Bathory track is one of my least favoured of his. Picks up again with the Аркона track again and is very consistently high quality from thereon in, albeit with one caveat - I still can't get to grips with Bethlehem the way other black metal fans do. Several less familiar bands I've come away interested to discover more of include Yoth Iria, Malokarpatan, Barathrum and Dark Fortress. Also a reminder that I need to go back to the Suffering Hour album and spend a bit more time with it as it's a very interesting record.

April 09, 2021 10:44 PM

I thought I'd better get a few of the less popular The North subgenres into this playlist (i.e. Celtic metal, medieval folk metal, black 'n' roll, etc.) as they'd been completely omitted in recent times. intentionally chose some pretty short tracks though.