March 2021 Feature Release – The North Edition

First Post February 28, 2021 07:08 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The North has been nominated by Ben. It's 2004's high regarded "Requiem Tenebrae" album from French black metal outfit Nehëmah.

https://metal.academy/releases/9860

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
March 03, 2021 05:16 AM

I personally feel that Nehemah are one of the more underrated black metal bands, which is why I selected this release. They didn't do anything that others didn't do before them, but damn they did what they did well. If you plan on checking out this release on YouTube (it's sadly not on Spotify), I recommend this vinyl version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZJEOsiX5vQ.

A couple of the other YouTube versions have significant sound issues, so I hope no-one judges the album without hearing it the way it was supposed to be heard.

If you don't have time to check out the whole album, I highly recommend the Burzum-like beauty of Taken Away by the Torn Black Shroud and the monstrous, black-as-fuck closer Through the Dark Nebula.

Would love to hear from any of you.

March 03, 2021 07:15 AM

This is not a band I've heard of so looking forward to checking this out at the weekend.

March 03, 2021 11:39 AM

A couple of the other YouTube versions have significant sound issues, so I hope no-one judges the album without hearing it the way it was supposed to be heard.

Quoted Ben

God forbid that anyone's forced to endure an underground black metal release with a lo-fi sound production Ben. ;)

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
March 03, 2021 09:19 PM

Quoted Ben

God forbid that anyone's forced to endure an underground black metal release with a lo-fi sound production Ben. ;)

Quoted Daniel

Haha, you're right. Some people will probably find the shitty sound to be a benefit!

March 05, 2021 07:59 PM

Great choice Ben. I can see why you rate it with it's old-school vibe and it's occasional slower descent into doom territory (Taken Away by the Torn Black Shroud is brilliant). Gonna have a few more listens before commenting more fully - it definitely deserves it.

March 11, 2021 04:19 AM

This one's outstanding Ben. Nehemah don't reinvent the wheel but they certainly know how to take me back to my black metal glory days. I'd suggest that "Requiem Tenebrae" sits somewhere between conventional black metal & atmospheric black metal. Possibly a little closer to the conventional side of the equation. It's not a perfect record as there are a couple of faults. The drum sound is pretty ordinary, particularly that ride cymbal that stands out like a sore thumb. There's also the odd bouncy punk beat tossed in here & there that isn't 100% my bag (usually in honour of similar Darkthrone & Hellhammer riffs) but the vast majority of the album offers a stunningly cold atmosphere enhanced by some wonderfully evil vocals. "Requiem Tenebrae" makes for one of the best examples of Second Wave of Norwegian Black Metal worship I've heard in a long time & I loved it.

For fans of Darkthrone, Burzum & Immortal.

4.5/5

March 14, 2021 02:50 PM

For an album released in 2004 this has some serious early second wave credibility, which is not so surprising when you discover that despite only releasing their debut album Light of a Dead Star in 2002, they had originally formed in '92 (although they had split in '95 after releasing a demo which would later become that debut, ultimately reforming in 2000). There's a Lovecraftian aesthetic theme running through the album with it's songs of unknown threats and elder gods and in keeping with the creeping terrors of HPL's work, this isn't a monotonous blastathon, but rather, the band isn't afraid to slow it down and allow the music to reflect that crawling feeling of dread. For proof check out the superb The Elder Gods Awakening, the claustrophobic feeling of being stalked by an unnamed terror is excellently realised as you feel the darkness closing in. Don't misunderstand however, when it blasts it really kicks ass too, believe me. The first half of In the Mists of Orion's Sword is as taut as a piano wire and may well tear your fuckin' head off (fans of Darkthrone's classic trilogy prepare to salivate!)
I can't express exactly how impressed I am by this, so thanks Ben for bringing it to everyone's attention. Although black metal is viewed as a Scandinavian phenomenon, the French have certainly carved out an impressive niche for themselves within it's boundaries and Requiem Tenebrae is a great example of Gallic BM. This is the very definition of an underground classic and I'm gonna give it an unapologetic 5/5.