Metal Academy Radio - "The North" Playlist August 2020

First Post August 23, 2020 06:26 AM

So we're going to be testing the waters with another new offering this week which is one that I'll be looking for your feedback on. The idea is to release regular two hour Spotify playlists for each clan with the tracklistings taking the listener through the full gamut of sounds each clan encompasses, both old & new, classic & underground. In putting together the initial lists I've attempted to push my personal tastes to one side by including something for everyone with all eras & subgenres receiving representation. I certainly haven't gone with your more obvious releases all the time & you will find the odd novelty track included just for a bit of fun. These will certainly give people that are finding it hard to choose their clans a good point of reference to see if a particular clan is for them too. Check 'em out & tell us what you think. If everyone enjoys these then we may look to make them a more permanent part of the site.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4b3h2iz89I1jVMBaUfFjkr?si=gMWTeJksQS2oj4joyOI6hg

Tracklisting:

01. Mago de Oz – “La posada de los muertos” (from “Gaia II: La voz dormida”, 2005)

02. Skyclad – “Brimstone Ballet” (from “The Silent Whales Of Lunar Sea”, 1995)

03. Subway To Sally – “Sieben” (from “Nord Nord Ost”, 2005)

04. Myrath – “Dance” (from “Shehili”, 2019)

05. Agathodaimon – “Near Dark” (from “Blacken The Angel”, 1998)

06. The Kovenant – “The Chasm” (from “In Times Before The Light”, 2002)

07. Impaled Nazarene – “Motorpenis” (from “Motorpenis” EP, 1996)

08. Thranenkind – “Monument” (from “The Elk”, 2013)

09. Nocturnal Depression – “Acedie” (from “Spleen Black Metal”, 2015)

10. Primordial – “Sons Of The Morrigan” (from “Storm Before Calm”, 2002)

11. Bathory – “Twilight Of The Gods” (from “Twilight Of The Gods”, 1991)

12. Deathspell Omega – “1523” (from “The Furnaces Of Palingenesia”, 2019)

13. Mutiilation – “Destroy Your Life For Satan” (from “Majestas Leprosus”, 2003)

14. Negura Bunget – “IIII” (from “’n crugu bradului”, 2002)

15. Ash Borer – “The Irrepassable Gate” (from “The Irrepassable Gate”, 2016)

16. Forgotten Tomb – “Daylight Obsession” (from “Springtime Depression”, 2003)

17. Archgoat – “Lord Of The Void” (from “Whore Of Bethlehem”, 2006)

18. …And Oceans – “Five Of Swords” (from “Cosmic World Mother”, 2020)

August 31, 2020 04:07 PM

Perhaps predictably for me the only enjoyable aspects to this were Nocturnal Depression. Deathspell Omega and Mutiilation.  None of he experimental, gothic or folk influenced stuff did anything for me.  Incidentally, I was surprised to see Myrath on his list as they only really have "international" infuences as ooposed to any direct folk elements over their more progressive sound.  Also confirmed my fast growing distatse for Bathory as i get older.  To my ears he just sounded increasingly more amatuerish with each release, like the songwriter out ranked the artistic capability in so many regards.

Ash Borer show the most promise as a band I need to revisit from this playlist.  Thanks for sharing.

P.s. whatever the hell is going on with Mago de Oz, I want no part of it.

August 31, 2020 08:40 PM

Yeah I felt fairly similarly about this playlist to be honest Vinny & it reminded me the reasons why I opted to remove myself from The North altogether because there's a substantial portion of the subgenres it covers that are simply too far removed from my personal tastes which sit very much in line with with your own. I could easily have stuck to my comfort zones when creating these lists but it I would always have left someone disappointed so I opted to go with a more holistic approach. I'll be interested to see what the community consensus is on that over the next month or so but I think things will inevitably morph into whatever direction the clan members want to take over time once we have more regular suggestions for inclusion coming in.