January 2020 Feature Release - The North Edition

First Post January 01, 2020 07:43 AM

The start of the New Year is upon us which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. Ben & I will certainly be contributing & we look forward to hearing your thoughts too.    

This month's feature release for The North is 2005's fourth album from Finnish folk metallers Moonsorrow entitled "Verisäkeet." We've noticed that a few of you are quite partial to the folkier end of the North's territory so we though we'd give you an opportunity to have your say on one of the most celebrated releases for the subgenre.

January 10, 2020 03:24 AM

I gave "Verisakeet" a revisit today & I have to admit that I'm still not able to overcome the folk melodies & some of the cheesier choir sections. There are some decent examples of black metal here & there that make two of the five tracks pretty easy to like but overall I can't get into this album despite the high quality production, professional composition & precise performances. It's a 3/5 from me. 

January 14, 2020 01:29 AM

Verisäkeet is probably my favorite Folk/Black Metal album that I've heard so far, so this one will be easy for me since I've listened to this MANY times already. I'm back from vacation and am going to have to dig deep to get all these reviewed starting tomorrow!

January 15, 2020 12:06 AM
My full review is up on the album page and it's been an interesting challenge to really gush about an album that I think is all but perfect. Verisäkeet is in the same vein as In the Nightside Eclipse in that it just does everything I want a Folk/Black Metal release to do. Amazing riffs, incredible atmosphere, and perfect transitions and progressions through each of the long tracks. I could see some of the more goofy sound effects and the choir being a sticking point, but I think I'm too far gone on criticizing this album since nowadays I think they fit perfectly in the theme of the album.